Walking 3 Greys

Could someone please tell me what would make my life easier walking my dogs? Is there a good sturdy double leash holder? I walk an 85# and 53# on one side and an 85# on the other..the leashes get tangled and it is a royal mess. The 53# is VERY hight pray driven and is especially not good on a leash in the afternoon. I weigh 120# and feel I am being overwhelmed! Thanks

Guest KsFrets

I don't know if I can make your life easier, but I can share experiences. We walk our pups twice a day every day. We have three of our own and sometimes a foster. The leashes are 6' long, and the leash and martingale are all one piece. They just slip on for walks. No clips to mess with, or come undone. This way their tag collars are still on them in the event of a slipped collar. Each leash is a different color, and that helps a LOT. And for the most important thing... ALL THE LEASHES ARE TIED TOGETHER. This way I can hold any leash in any way with any hand, and still have all the dogs. And also, in the event the leashes get yanked out of my hand... the likelihood of 3 or more dogs getting very far tied together is very slim. Yes they can be a hand full, and yes the leashes get tangled and twisted. And yes I have to spin around, and yes I have to pull them over my head, and yes sometimes I have to put them on the ground and step out of them :blink: And sometimes when we get home they are all twisted like crazy. But it's really no big deal, just slip them all off the dogs, and hold them up and they untwist no problem. It's also interesting how some things work themselves out. After some 2,500 walks and counting, patterns and routines develop. If one dog lags, the others help pull, and if one dog pulls, the others help hold back. You get used to their habits and moves, and every day it gets a little easier.

7512-15732141722011.jpg

Edited by KsFrets

I like using a coupler, not everyone does but it works for me. I also walk for exercise, not sniffing around so there are not excessive stops and opportunities for someone to get peed on or tangled up.

007.JPG

I use the 12 inch one the most often on our regular walks and the short one for walking in crowded areas like stores, parades. The long one is handy for events when the dogs can lay down.

If I walk three I add a second coupler but that is uncommon for me to have 3. With a quick google search I located this one for 3 dogs: 3 way coupler I'll bet others here can provide some good sources for you, some may even sell them.

Even with a coupler I find it helpful to keep the leash short, otherwise they wander around and end up tripping each other or me lol.gif

Good luck.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

"Sense-ation" harness helps slow pullers down nicely: http://www.softouchconcepts.com/product/sense-ation-harness

I agree with HoundHeavenAZ re: holding leashes shorter with multiple hounds. It's much safer (even with one harder to handle hound). I'm not a tall person so I like keeping hounds closer to me (their shoulder near my thigh) so no tangling ever occurs while were moving forward in mass. I use waist leashes, but I don't recommend those for high prey driven hounds, better to keep those hounds under control with your strongest arm with a standard leash around a wrist, and held with a hand.

I also walk hounds at a fairly rapid pace for heart healthy exercise, and usually slow down for longer leash sniffing and business at certain dog-friendly places (trying to avoid people's green lawns). Good luck...

Guest KennelMom

The most important thing: all dogs need to have proper leash manners. This may mean walking them individually to work on these skills. I don't have a ton of rules on our walks...basically, they have to generally stay on one side, keep a loose leash and no pulling or darting after anything. All new dogs learn "leave it" which is handy for encountering pretty much anything you want them to leave alone on a walk - esp dead or live animals. When we walk, we're walking...there are places we stop where they can mosey, potty and do whatever they want. I say "take a break" and give them the full length of the leash. Then I say "let's go" and we're back to moving as a pack. Practice, practice, practice...If I can't walk hounds for a while for whatever reason, some have to be reminded of what proper leash manners are (one reason I wouldn't tie leashes together - I like to be able to control each individual dog...but you have to do what works for you).

I use a different colored leash for each dog so I know who's on the end of each leash in my hand and I wrap most of the slack around my hand. I also use four foot leashes. You don't need a six foot leash on a walk and it's just more material to wrap around your hand or get in the way.

I usually walk four or five down country roads...this is what we look like:

3465174531_2d06598dbe.jpg

Guest BrianRke

I usually dont walk my 3 at the same time. I have done it with no problems but it isnt enjoyable. I take the 2 easy ones together, and then I walk Diamond by herself.

I used to regularly walk my three, alone. Like others have said, it takes some getting used to, and the dogs all need to have a 'position'. For us, it was Buddy (or Jack, after Buddy was gone) on the right. Buddy was the wild card, since he wanted to chase motorcycles, and had other-breed-fear. So he had my stronger arm dedicated to him. Then the girls on the left, in my left hand, with Ruby on the inside. Rascal enjoyed the outside, because she did more sniffing/marking. ALL the dogs knew their spot, and were good at sticking to it.

I can't tell you how many times someone said to me, "your three walk better than my ONE!". :)

Ditto what Heather said about color-coding leashes. I always did that. I liked to know who was on what leash, just in case they needed special 'control'. I saw someone at Gettysburg once, had four or five dogs, and ALL black leashes. I don't know how they did it.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest KsFrets

I'm not quite a strict as some of you are, I do let a fair amount of exploring and sniffing go on, after all it's the high point of their day ;) It doesn't get easier over night and takes time and effort to develop manners, and learn positions. But there is one street that just seems to take us forever to get down... :rofl:huh

7512-12259181342011.jpg

Guest mirthlesstroll

I have walked as many as 5 at once, and KennelMom is right, it is all about leash manners. If the dogs know how to walk nicely they'll learn quickly where their place in the group is, and there will be less and less jockeying for position as they get used to falling into place. Different colored leashes help, too. I use the colors to determine which leash needs to come off my wrist to fix a hopeless tangle. I have 1 who would walk next to me unleashed if I'd let him, and 1 that would be eating the neighbor's little doggies if I even thought of letting him off my wrist for a second.

Guest verthib

Unfortunately mine won't go potty if they're walked side by side against each other. Those couplers or tying the leashes together won't work for dogs who like to have some space to go potty. Mine are picky.