Growing Pains ?

Guest Champsmom

Guest Champsmom

this is not a greyhound it is actually a boxer pup the vet told her that it had growing pains .I actually never heard of that in a dog so I googled and what I found was not great ..anyone here ever have anything like this with their dog ?? What kinda treatments or any advice for her ??? she is a young girl and really really loves this dog

this is not a greyhound it is actually a boxer pup the vet told her that it had growing pains .I actually never heard of that in a dog so I googled and what I found was not great ..anyone here ever have anything like this with their dog ?? What kinda treatments or any advice for her ??? she is a young girl and really really loves this dog

"Growing pains" is known as panosteitis. It is relatively common in growing, large breed dogs. German shepherds and Rotties are the poster children but it can happen in Boxers. It is typically seen in dogs under a year old (i.e. while they're growing quickly). Radiographs will diagnose this. It is typically self limiting and will resolve on its own... we typically just give some anti-inflammatories like Metacam to help with the pain. There are other things that can cause pain in a young, growing dog though so if x-rays weren't done I would recommend that they do just to make sure it really is pan-o.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Danes are prone too, ours didn't have it or didn't tell us. If she's still feeding puppy food, I'd get the dog off of it. It's packed with "growing puppy stuff" that the Dane breeders believe rushes them through their growing stages and adds to the growing pains likely hood. I had my Dane puppy on high quality adult food by 5 months

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest KennelMom

Our greyhound puppy never had anything like that, but we fed her a raw diet from the time she was weaned. I've heard/read that kibble diets tend to promote too-fast growth.

My Ridgeback went through "growing pains". It resolved on it's own. The vet prescribed something (don't remember what) for pain as needed.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My angel Stash, a German Shephard had this - it usually occurs right when their legs grow the most and it doesn't last too long but the length of time really depends on how big the dog will get. At adulthood, my boy got to about 120 pounds and his symptoms lasted about three months but, it was on-off. I found that the best practice was just to let them lie around and not have them walk too much - I was also feeding mine on the bed. At that time, my dog also wouldn't eat so I had to coax him with hamburger and ice cream.