Food Question

Guest BlackandTan

Guest GreyGary91806

My boy doesnt have full blown diarhea or anything but his poo is definently softer than it should be.. Any suggestions for a kind of food, add rice, stop treats,kong.... Any advice

First - has he been tested for worms? Gotta rule that out if this soft stool is persistent.

Then, boiled hamburger and rice, or chicken and rice. Basically, a bland diet. We also give ours a spoonful of plain yogurt each day.

Hope your boy feels better soon. :grouphug

You can start switching foods to try and find one that gives him better stools. You can also try adding a probiotic to his food. That may give you the results you're looking for without switching foods.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Fortiflora and Vetri Probiotic are the brands I purchased. So far i see no difference in the brands and I love the results I'm getting. Makes cleaning up the yard a lot easier!

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

A few members of our group have had some success supplementing with oral vitamin B12 for chronic, mild soft stools. I can't provide any scientific evidence for this, and most vets would probably tell you that oral B12 supplementation isn't effective, but I tried it for a foster in conjunction with Fortiflora, and it did seem to help. This was a dog whose soft stools had not improved with metronidazole and/or Fortiflora by itself. You can give 200-250 mg of vitamin B12 once daily. It's available at human pharmacies in the supplements section, and the smaller tablets are 100 or 250 mg.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest GreyGary91806

OK Thanks well hopefully the vet visit goes smoothly, but I will definently try to the probiotic first and B12 if needed. Hate tokeep asking but where is a good location to purchase them??

I just googled it and found it at many locations..

I purchased mine from Amazon.

Never worry about asking too many questions around here. We've all been there before and it's a nice place to ask questions. :)

You give them daily. I got the chicken flavored Vetri Probiotic tablets for my gang. They love them and it's just like them getting a treat. You give two daily for dogs over 40lbs.

There are plenty of 'food snobs' out there that will knock anything that is not the high end kibble. The truth is that many (in fact most) dogs will do fine on foods like Iams. Purina One is probably not rated very well, but it's what I feed both of my hounds and they perfectly healthy, with shiny coats and good poops.

One trick that worked well for one former hound that had a tendency for soft poops was to add a scoop (about 2 rounded TBS) of canned pumpkin to her food once a day. Not pumpkin pie filling, just 100% pumpkin. It is easy to find, cheap and it worked like a charm here.

Green Bag of just plain old IAMS?

I just google it and nothing but horror stories come up with IAMS

:repuke:repuke:dunno

Yes plain old green bag IAMS.

Are you talking about the PeTA video and sites that quote it as the horror storie? If so, read this --

http://www.iamstruth...tivist.do?pi=RP

I know it recently worked for Sweetpea and has worked for several other members.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest GreyGary91806

I just googled IAMS Green Bag and all kinds of stories about young dogs being on there death bed until they stopped the IAMS... If its doesnt firm up soon I will try it if people say its ok on here. Right now I have him on i think Natures Best Venison with Rice... I will double check when I get home. Its weird when he goes at first it comes out normal then gets soft and runny by the end of his dropping.

IAMS (and to a lesser extent Purina ONE Sensitive Systems) is my go-to food for mooshy poop issues as well. I usually get the green bag IAMS but have found the red bag (lamb) to be just as good when the need arises.

I've had the same experience as Pam. I'm ashamed to admit I've done it more than once -- gone through 7-10 different foods that I thought would work and that maybe looked better on paper, went mad hauling bags back to the store and trying to pick up cowpies, threw a bag of IAMS in the cart ... and bingo! Next time that will be my first stop.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sweetpea

IAMS (and to a lesser extent Purina ONE Sensitive Systems) is my go-to food for mooshy poop issues as well. I usually get the green bag IAMS but have found the red bag (lamb) to be just as good when the need arises.

I've had the same experience as Pam. I'm ashamed to admit I've done it more than once -- gone through 7-10 different foods that I thought would work and that maybe looked better on paper, went mad hauling bags back to the store and trying to pick up cowpies, threw a bag of IAMS in the cart ... and bingo! Next time that will be my first stop.

This was our experience as well. Sheesh, when I think of how many months we struggled.....

She would seem to improve, then back to pudding, AND gas, poor girl.

There are folks who think worrying about firm poo is just the picker-uppers being selfish.

And sure, it's easier to pick up when it bounces :thumbs-up . BUT, I know how awful I feel when

my food disagrees with me, I was never happy with that as a "norm" for Sweetpea.

The best food for your dog is the one your dog thrives on. End of story.

Good luck!

Buzzy

Careful not to overfeed. Most male greys of my acquaintance eat 1.5 - 2.0 cups twice a day, females 1.0 - 1.25 cups twice a day. Unless he's a really big, really active boy, I'd probably start at the low end and see how he does.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreyGary91806

The vet was very impressed with him, said he was in great shape. I have to drop a fecal test off this week. He did hear a little whistle while listening to his heart but didnt seem to concerned about it.

Guest GreyGary91806

Got my probiotics in the mail yesterday... I dont know if its coincidence or if they work that fast..... This morning he made a nice solid pile of poo :lol:thumbs-up

If that solves the problem does anyone think i should switch foods to soemthing different??? The stuff I am feeding him now is wicked expensive and would like to change to something more reasonable. I hope that doesnt make me sound like a bad papa...