Non-Anesthesia Dental + Poop Eater?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Hi, please don't flame me. I KNOW and feel badly that the girls' teeth should have been cleaned before now.

We've had them 1 year, and in that year, DH and I had just bought a house- a fixer-upper (we're doing 95% of the work ourselves), I started a new job a year ago, etc. It's been a hectic, busy year.

We haven't had the girls' teeth cleaned yet. There, I said it. I've been meaning to get it done for 11 months, but the man we used to use when our greyhound Timber was alive passed away and after Timber had her last dental, she became very sick for months will difficult-to-diagnose symptoms, which ultimately were lymphoma, but because she became very ill very soon after her last dental, I've just had a bad association with the process...

Anyway, our girls are 5 1/2 and 7 and really need the teeth cleaning. I've seen the non-A dentals several times, and I know because of the scaling, the gums can bleed.

I wondered if we're at increased risk for infection with Greta, who is an obsessive poop eater (she'll really eat anything, even tries to eat rocks). We do our best to pick up right away, but sometimes as we're getting the bag and poop scooper, she gets there first, and worse, sometimes she gobbles directly from "the tap" (AKA Swiftie's butt).

Do I need to ask our vet for antibiotics in advance or anything? I just worry about the bacteria that might be clinging to her gums or mouth getting into her blood via the dental scaling....

THANK YOU for your advice.

I don't know about the bacteria--I'd assume a higher risk. Can you muzzle Greta and use a poop guard? I think I'd try to make that a habit (even when dentals aren't looming).

Or designate a "nasty muzzle" that you use duct tape on to seal the openings. Only use the nasty muzzle outside, and frequently replace the tape. Be sure to pull off the muzzle before she comes back in the house. If she's like my girl--who isn't a poop eater but doesn't like her muzzle--Greta may wipe the muzzle on the walls, furniture, and your leg.

If you're using a doggie door to let the girls out, consider locking the door and using the muzzle at least until the dental is done and Greta's gums are healed.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Swifthounds

I would avoid the non-sed dental, evenmoreso if you think the condition of the teeth indicates professional intervention is overdue - they're less effective and more of a risk than the stool issue.

Agreed with the above post-- have the dental prophy performed under general. You can not properly clean their teeth effectively while their awake. Root planning and cleaning the lingual side of the teeth are impossible to do w/o a general. If you're worried about bacteria (which by the way your hounds mouth is already full of) start the antibotics 3 days before the procedure.

I have one who is a poop-eater (her mother was too) and she never goes out without a muzzle w/poop guard. Not only is is unhealthy for them to eat poop it is gross. If she does manage to get some poop more times than not she will throw up. Gross. Poop guards are wonderful.

june

I'm one who has had some teeth scaled awake. But if they're in serious need of a dental, you need one under anaesthesia.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.