Ace Is Getting Really Nervous Outside

Guest shanesmom

Guest shanesmom

Ace is my 3rd greyhound but the first ever that had not previously been in a home or the prison program. I live in a 2nd. floor condo and have to leash walk him for his potty breaks. He is very afraid of the stairs and did make some progress but that stopped today. He suddenly became more fearful of them than ever and of being outside. It is unfortunately rather busy around here. Cars and motorcycles do go by as we walk to the dog walking areas and he's becoming fearful of the noises. He became so afraid today that he would not pee for the longest time and has not pooped since early this morning even though he ate 2 large meals since then. He is so busy looking around in fear that he won't sniff for a spot. Also he just started freezing like a statue too. I did try taking along bacon and bologna to keep his mind off his fears but he won't pay any attention to the food that he loves inside. We just came in from a walk and since it's later it was rather quiet out but he was still very afraid. He is doing wonderful in the house and is not at all shy. Plays with his toys, wants lots of petting and eats all of his meals. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have lots of patience. Just want to help him get over his nervousness as quick as possible so he can be as happy outside as he is inside. He is such a nice boy that it saddens me to see him so afraid. Thanks.

How long have you had him?

For stairs, I suggest LOTS of repeats. It's hard on you and hard on him, but the more he does them the more comfortable he'll be. I praise mightily and always offer treats even when I'm pretty sure the dog won't take them -- one day he will, and then you'll be ready :) .

For noises and stuff outside, one thing I did with Zema was to spend 10-20 minutes or so just standing around watching stuff. For example, she was afraid of cars whizzing by so we spent a lot of time hanging around (from an "I'm not crazy about this but I'm not freaking out either" distance) just watching traffic and having a little conversation in my most cheerful "Oooooooh, did you see that? Vintage Beetle! ha ha hee hee ho ho!" voice. From one day or two to the next, as she got used to those things, we'd sneak a bit closer until she was accepting if not exactly blase.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest shanesmom

Thank you Batmom. I have only had him since Saturday and I expected this to be a scary world for him right now. I was hoping that I was approaching his fears the right way though. I am exposing him to all of theses noises frequently. I wish we had more time to do this slowly but he has to go downstairs and has to go outside to potty. Thank you for the advice of just letting him take it all in. I will just sit in front of my building for a while today and let him just take all of the noises in. I was afraid that would make him more afraid but my adoption group also suggested that I need to not baby him and be more confident about this myself.

The other thing that leaps to mind is, are there any dogs nearby that he might be friendly with? If so, or if you can convince a dog friend to come for some visits elsewhere, walking with a confident dog can do much to help.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When something freaks Summit out I say "What was that!?" in a very happy, excited voice and offer a really good treat. If he statues and won't listen to me or take treats then I babble in a happy voice and shove the treat into his cheek. Usually once it's in his mouth he'll eat it. He's managed to get over a few fears this way. Not sure if what I did helped or if just being in the situation several times and nothing bad happening had anything to do with it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest shanesmom

My mom is coming over this evening with her very confident Shepherd and we will walk together. If that doesn't seem to help, I am sure someone with a greyhound close to me will come over to walk with us. Excellent advice. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Guest shanesmom

I just took Ace down the street to my mom's house and wore him out in her fenced in yard. He ran and played and sniffed all the new smells and loved the trail my dad built for his dog through the woods. He was so exhausted he hardly remembered his fears when we came back to our condo property. I think I'll do this more often. It seemed to help. Just a little but at least there was some progress.

That's very cool. Good job!

They always say a tired dog is a good dog, so maybe tiring Ace out a little will help calm his fears.

I've never had any luck with this myself, although I've heard others who have, but you might want to try Rescue Remedy to maybe take the edge off. I've heard some people say it helps their dogs and others say it doesn't do anything to help, but it may be worth a try. Maybe try a DAP collar? I wouldn't want to keep using any of these long term, but just as a tool to help while you are working with him on the things Batmom and your group suggested.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound