Need Help Understanding If My Greyhound Is Really Sick Or Not..

Guest EliseA89

So happy to read about the good labs!

Your hound is lucky to have found such a caring and determined Mom!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Whoo-hoo! Wonderful news and welcome to GT! I am so sorry you had this crummy experience with the Vets involved with this fiasco! A Vet with an attitude can be hazardous to a Greyhounds health! I know.........................one almost killed one of mine! Hope things continue to look up for you!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My greyhound seems to be doing great. He eats and drinks well, plays and has never shown any sign that he didn't feel well other then when he was on the Doxy.

Glad your boy is doing well, and that you heard back from OSU that his bloodwork is normal. :thumbs-up

I had no idea that he was 10% dehydrated which sounds a little crazy but he was acting fine, I only took him in because they wanted to see his urethra and check some blood work.

What made them think he was 10% dehydrated?? Maybe it was based on the high PCV/hematocrit (which is normal in greys)? If he was acting fine, eating and drinking normally, there should have been no reason to hospitalize him in IV fluids. There is a saying in both human and veterinary medicine to 'treat the patient, not the labwork'.

The reason they thought he may have a blocked bile duct was because of the bilirubin in his urine (which can be normal for male greys to have I'm learning)

A small amount of bilirubin in the urine can be normal in any male dog, not just greys.

Also I printed off all of the medical packets and bloodwork readings and took them with me and no one would look at them.

You need a new vet. I realize that it may make things a little difficult since you work there, but if they are unwilling to learn about the medical differences in greyhounds compared to other breeds, they are not going to provide your boy with appropriate care. Maybe they were just trying to be thorough and do what they felt was best, but it sounds like they've already done a lot of tests/treatment and spent a lot of your money that wasn't necessary if they had known about some of these greyhound differences.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg