Uninterested In Kibble

Guest BlingDogs

Guest BlingDogs

I got Dory in October and she has always been an enthusiastic eater. I remember I used to get back from a walk, feed her shortly after and go up to brush my teeth. Right as I walked into the washroom she would fly up the stairs after finishing her breakfast in seconds flat. But lately she's been leaving half or so of her kibble in the bowl. She eats Nutro Large Breed Adult wuth daily mix-ins of raw egg and fish which has always agreed with her. Now she just eats the fish or egg. I've just left the kibble there for her to eat later, is that right?

I am looking into switching her kibble to another, better brand. I think she should ideally be eating all raw but she's just never had a problem before. What should I do about it? Thanks in advance.

She could be getting picky and only eating the ad ins. The only way I know to get her back on kibble is to stop adding in the extra's. When she gets hungry enough, she'll eat the kibble. That being said, make sure she's well. If she's having a health issue that you don't know about, it can affect her appetite. Just before Gee got so ill, she stopped eating her kibble so I started adding canned, when she quit eating all together I knew something was wrong. I don't normally add anything to my dogs kibble, I did for her because she's 12 and needs to eat. Now that she's well, she's back on just her kibble.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

One thing we found out the hard way - "better" kibble doesn't always mean they will eat it, or not have a problem with it. Don't feel like you have to "move up" to a better kibble. You just need to find something that has the nutrition your pup needs and that they'll eat. That doesn't always mean "better" or more expensive.

Like the other post said, I would remove the add-ins first and see what happens, as well as rule out anything medical. The first couple of times you remove the add-ins, you will probably get the "hey - you forgot something" look.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest BrianRke

I would try mixing in some canned food with her kibble. Make sure its mixed well and she will probably eat it all. I usually get Castor & Pollux or Wellness canned foods. They love them!

After many years of switching dog food, buying a zillion kinds of canned food to add in, I tend to agree with Judy. I recently started giving my dogs Purina One shredded blend--with only a little warm water. So far, so good. It was getting to the point where, if Ruby didn't like the canned food I added, she wouldn't eat at all. She is 12, and since April (and her neck injury) has lost a lot of weight--so she can't afford to skip too many meals. She seems enthusiastic about the Purina One, so I am not planning to start adding anything to it. I currently have almost two cans of EXPENSIVE dog food in the fridge, and she won't eat it at all. So yeah, a little tough love might be required.

*and I hope I am not eating my words in a couple of weeks* :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest BlingDogs

She didn't touch her breakfast today. I added a tiny bit of fish cut up in small pieces underneath the kibble, she picked at it but still not interested. I tried to feed her piece by piece, but she takes them gently and sets them on the floor :(

I'd strongly recommend a vet visit and some basic bloodwork, possibly also a tick-borne disease panel. A change in appetite can often be the first sign of a medical problem. Hope it's nothing serious and that your girl is back to normal soon.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest hshirlow

Best of luck. We are going through something similar with our grey. We have ruled out health issues and think she is just full of anxiety from recent change in our home (a baby). These greys are very sensitive!

Guest KennelMom

I'd strongly recommend a vet visit and some basic bloodwork, possibly also a tick-borne disease panel. A change in appetite can often be the first sign of a medical problem. Hope it's nothing serious and that your girl is back to normal soon.

:nod Yep...

Guest firegypsy

I'd definitely get her checked out. I was thinking something similar for my gal, but it turns out she's just a princess. She's the one I'm trying to fatten so she knows if it's a bowl of kibble all she has to do is turn her nose up and I'm going to douse it in bacon fat, coconut oil or throw in some sweet potato. She has me completely figured out. :lol

Yes, definitely agree there should be a basic check-up including blood work for liver and kidneys at the vet's. Getting picky was the first sign I got of Angel's kidney problems; and if it is something like that then the sooner you get unecessary food toxin stress off them the better.

I agree too that 'upgrading' to better kibble may be 'downgrading' as far as the pup is concerned. Mine can't tolerate lamb or beef. So it's turkey and rice for her most of the time. Once in a while I even switch back to a bag of regular greyhound food which. although she likes it, makes loads more poop and isn't so good for the teeth.

Can't you change to feeding her twice a day and not leaving uneaten food down going like rotten damp cardboard? I feed mine 1/3rd in the morning and 2/3 in the evening after coming in from walks.

Guest Swifthounds

I would run bloodwork to rule out medical issues. Then, put food down at meal time, unadulterated. Leave it for 20 minutes and then remove it and re-serve it at the next meal time in the same fashion. Either you train the dog or the dog trains you. The latter is neither healthy, nor productive.