Second Grey Adopted

Guest Sasha

Guest Sasha

Yesterday we brought home our second grey. We have had our first Willow for 6 months and decided to add another one. So we all took a ride to the adoption center and met with a couple dogs, we ended up bringing home a male dog around the same age as her. There have been a couple of growls from both dogs (just a low growl) no snapping and for the most part they have been ignoring each other. Max, the new dog has not eaten his food (not last night or this morning and he really hasn't been eating the treats. Is this normal, I understand it's different for him. I keep them muzzled all the time unless they are in there crate.

Any suggestions on what to expect and how long before they start acknowledging each other? How do I get him to eat, if he doesn't by tomorrow?

Thanks for any advice!

He'll eat when he gets good and hungry. He's just taking a couple of days to settle in, that's perfectly normal. The low growls are normal too because now there are two, one is going to take the leadership position in the relationship. They'll get it figured out. Best to keep them muzzled for a few days until they get used to each other. It shouldn't take too long.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Sasha

Thanks! I guess I'm just a little nervous. I have been reading a lot of articles on getting another one and some of them have been on the negative side. I want this to work for everyone involved! It has been a long time since we have had two dogs and it was not greyhounds.

Everything sounds perfectly normal. Every dog introduction is different, so it will go how it goes.

As long as he's keeping hydrated, I wouldn't be concerned about not eating. As Judy said, he'll eat when he gets hungry. You can try and spark his appetite with some canned food or boiled hamburger if you want, but I think he will eat on his own.

The growls are also normal. They're working things out and they will. Muzzles are good. Going for a walk together will help them bond a bit more.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Sasha

Thanks again!! I have noticed that Willow will get up and move if he goes and lays close by, she is not growling but she will not sit close to him unless I am there. She is also not getting up right away when I walk in the room like she usually does. She has always been a bit of a drama queen, and would love attention. She is eating and taking her treats, but for the most part she just lays on her favorite pillow or the couch. She is not completely out of it, but I feel she is not as enthusiastic about our new member as the rest of the family.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

How are you feeding them? Are they fed in crates, or separate sides of a room? If you are trying to free-feed, I would strongly suggest against that when you have multiples. If they are being fed close to each other, you can try moving them to opposite sides of a room or add a visual break between the two so that they cannot see each other when they eat. That may help.

Chad

I have been adopting greyhounds for the last 17 years. I STILL get nervous when we bring a new one home!:lol We've never had any real issues with any of the ones we've brought home. The growling is normal, is to be expected, and yes it still freaks me out a bit when it happens.

I've always found that walking them together does a lot to get them used to each other. You may find after a few days, one will wait for the other if he/she is lagging behind. They'll get into a rhythm and work things out between them.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Guest Sasha

How are you feeding them? Are they fed in crates, or separate sides of a room? If you are trying to free-feed, I would strongly suggest against that when you have multiples. If they are being fed close to each other, you can try moving them to opposite sides of a room or add a visual break between the two so that they cannot see each other when they eat. That may help.

I have been feeding them at separate times. Willow first then max.

Chad

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Maybe if you feed them at the same time, there wont be any reason for your new boy to feel threatened? Just a thought.

Guest greytkidsmom

Like others said, he will eat when he is ready. Do you have a mealtime routine? If not, that may help. He still may not eat but he will learn that food comes at a specific time and that he has a certain time to eat it and if he doesn't, he has to wait until the next time. For example, we have three and they eat at 6am and 6pm (or therabouts). We prepare the food, have them come into the living room where they assume the down position and stay while we set the food out at assigned eating stations. When we are ready, we give them a release command and they go eat. If they haven't finished in about 15 minutes, the food gets picked up and they are out of luck.

It takes some time and patience to get them to down and wait. It works best if you have someone to help out - one person is the "cook" and the other person stays with the dogs to help them learn the down and stay.

Our last addition came to us as a "picky eater." We started with the same kibble the other dogs ate and never changed or added toppings. It took a week or two but once he learned our routine he joined the "clean bowl club" and has even started reminding us what time of the day it is when it gets close to 6:00.

Good luck and enjoy your new addition - watching the two interact can be so much fun.