Is There A Better Way .......

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

I just gave Morty his 2 AB Morning Pills. Out of the Capsule on soft Liverwurst and he smelled on it and rejected .Put some more Liverwurst on it and he took :yay

It's a chore that I can't do at 4 AM during the Week. I guess 3:30 AM getting up is out 3 AM is a must. :ohno:ohno:ohno

Pill gun? Hmmm, I may actually have one of those somewhere--forgot I had it.

Next time (hopefully not soon), I'm going to try a pill gun followed by a syringe of water!

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I've used Lixotinic/Petinic as a mixer for bitter powders with very good success. Also used molasses. Have heard of several dogs who liked... get this... ketchup as a mixer. Hey, whatever works. (but you would not want to premix; do it immediately before dosing) So those are my suggestions for antibiotic capsules. I'll be honest. We've had a couple of difficult to pill, I'm gonna gag this up dogs. For those, I've found that doling out a generous portions of their favorite treat immediately afterwards really helps.

To date I've never had a dog I could not get pills down though one was the champion at being a pill about pills. She is the only one who managed to spit the pill back out after eating. That little stinker took her pill like her namesakes, Angel. Immediately put her bowl of food down which she promptly scarfed down, licking the bowl clean. Then the little snot looked me straight in the eye, dropped her head, spit that pill right into her bowl & stared up at me again & I am still convinced she was smirking! I pilled her again & stood there for 5 minutes. She didn't spit it out again. However... when vacuuming one day I moved her bed to find 5 pills stashed underneath it. OMG!! :lol

Edited by kudzu

However... when vacuuming one day I moved her bed to find 5 pills stashed underneath it. OMG!! :lol

:spoot:lol :lol :lol

Yep, some of them really are stinkers about pills. Ranger was like a wild mustang, bucking and squealing, when I tried to poke the last pill down his throat. His motto is 'fool me once, more fool me. Fool me twice, ya must've caught me napping. Fool me three times? Dream on!'

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I just realized that I feel limited because Daisy has food allergies but we don't know for sure everything she's allergic to. I avoid most meats and grains for that reason.

I deliberately chose a smoked turkey lunchmeat with nearly nothing else on its ingredient list. (WalMart carries this; I usually buy the smoked, not the honey smoked.) Some dogs have awful issues with pork, so I avoided ham or any sort of combo-meat like bologna or hot dogs. Sam has a reaction to any-blasted-thing his stomach has decided not to tolerate for the day, but no problems (knock wood) with the turkey. It's also a small enough quantity--even using two slices (with one turned crosswise, to avoid powder leaking out)--that I haven't had a problem. Two slices of the lunchmeat are thinner than one slice of cheese (where you'd have to worry about lactose intolerance).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest d0ggiem0mma

You can't do this with all pills because some are sensitive to moisture/light (like clavamox) but a behaviorist told me once that with pills like Tramadol, to smear them with butter, then FREEZE them, then put the coated frozen pill into a piece of meat or something.

You can also get plain gel capsules from the health food store and put nasty pills inside the gel cap before trying to hide them in food.

Never tried either myself as most of my dogs LOVE pill pockets and I have to push pills down Maggie's throat or she chews them!