Red Belly Rash

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

This started a couple of months ago. I'm giving him benadryl and cortisone creme, but this seems to be getting worse. Is this a seasonal allergy? He's grain-free and raw. He does like to eat grass, and we live in a relatively natural, pesticide-free environment. He likes to lay in our vinca. But since the rash started, I don't let. him anymore. Any ideas?

Guest mbfilby

Can you get a picture? Some greys get a greyhound form of acne on their lower chest at the bottom of the rib cage. Could also be no-see-em bites, heat rash, poison ivy, etc.

Sounds like either ant bites or staph. I'd let the vet have a look.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Dog's can't get poison ivy- they can bring the oils in and give it to you though!

Sounds like a seasonal allergy that has developed a secondary infection. The vet will likely put him on antibiotics. Once you get the infection under control I would start wiping his belly down after he comes inside. Might talk to the vet about what else you can do for meds if this keeps coming back. My friend's dog has the same issue every summer and they put the dog on Zyrtec!

Kevin went through this recently but his weren't itchy and developed overnight. (His feet were itchy though for about a week or so before he developed the pustules and also after).The vet gave anti-biotics. I am not sure why he got those but i have read that they are staph related.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest TahoeMom

Hi everyone. I love this website, because of all of you. Thank you for your help! Just to follow up so you can help others. I did take Brendan to the vet today. The vet said he has an ear and skin infection that is secondary to a seasonal allergy that will get progressively worse every summer. He's now on Keflex antibiotic, Prednisone, Tri-Otic ointment, and Benadryl. The only way to know what exactly he is allergic to would be to do allergy testing which is not usually done on dogs. The trick is to start treating with Zyrtec or Benadryl early in the summer so it does not turn into an infection as a result of scratching and licking. Again, thank you for all of your advice. ~joyce

Kasey has allergies. We did blood testing to determine what he's allergic to but could not do skin testing because he would have to be off meds for too long of a time. Blood testing is also less accurate than skin testing.

I have noticed this on him too, but doesn't seem to bother him, I just thought it was almost like a callus since he lays down like a roo often and that part of the belly touches the carpet/bed, etc all the time.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015