Pain Meds On The Way To The Vet

Guest Liz_in_PA

Guest Liz_in_PA

Dash is limping and licking his wrist. It's 8:10am. We have a 10:20 appointment with a 40 minute drive. I've given him 1/2 of a 7.5mg meloxicam. Could I give him more? (He is 80 pounds)

I don't know what happened. He went out first thing. I didn't hear any zoomies. He did his usual 2 seconds of herding Bonnie. Maybe he jumped up and landed wrong.

Guest KennelMom

I don't give any pain meds before a vet visit. You don't want to mask anything that a vet would see during an exam. If they are in such pain that they ABSOLUTELY MUST have some sort of pain meds, then the dog really should be at the e-vet because that would be a lot of pain.

Edited by KennelMom

Dash is limping and licking his wrist. It's 8:10am. We have a 10:20 appointment with a 40 minute drive. I've given him 1/2 of a 7.5mg meloxicam. Could I give him more? (He is 80 pounds)

I don't know what happened. He went out first thing. I didn't hear any zoomies. He did his usual 2 seconds of herding Bonnie. Maybe he jumped up and landed wrong.

My only concern would be that if you alleviate the pain too much you'll have nothing to show the vet when you arrive. It's hard to localize the source of pain if the dog isn't painful anymore. Well, that and you don't want to give too much of an NSAID. I would give the meloxicam some time to kick in and I'd let it be until you get to the vet.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Liz_in_PA

evet 40 minutes away. Joint practice run by vets in town. Only open when other practices are closed. Got first appointment possible.

never mind.

I don't give any pain meds before a vet visit. You don't want to mask anything that a vet would see during an exam. If they are in such pain that they ABSOLUTELY MUST have some sort of pain meds, then the dog really should be at the e-vet because that would be a lot of pain.

Double ditto!

In addition to not wanted to mask anything, it could delay treatment by the vet because of possible drug interactions.

Yup - this is very important.

Hope it's nothing serious! Best wishes to you and Dash :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire