Injured Toe

Guest kar

scotch hurt his toe running 2 weeks ago. it was black and blue - vet xray it and no breaks. he seemed fine but now when he runs he holds the foot up again and will not walk on it for a bit. do you think it is still his toe - or could it be something else. cant get him back to the vet until tuesday. vet does not have late hours work would not let me leave. since i lost doug to cancer i am a bit scared.

Guest BrianRke

Daytona hurt his toe a couple months ago. There were no breaks but it was black and blue and it took him a while to get over it. Im not sure why he would be ok and then start again. He may have re-injured it.

Wonder if he is dislocating it and popping it back himself? That would explain the soreness.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sounds like it's too soon to have him running around on an injured toe.

Based on my recent experience with Jaynie (ligament injury in toe) it took a good 2 months of leash walks only (gradually increasing in length after the first month or so) before I let her off leash again. I knew the second I did she'd be off like a bullet, just for the joy of running.

After it happened she was on Tramadol for a week or so for pain, and then nothing. Now I watch for it bothering her, and if it does we scale things back again for a couple of days, and so far she has been fine.