Leg Cramps

My 14 YO whippet gets leg cramps, especially in warmer weather. I know in people, bananas can help with that. Does this hold true for dogs, too? They can be quite painful and seem to last a long time. I have found that making him walk works them out faster, but he is sore from them. I will also massage the leg, but walking works better. Any suggestions on other ways to help or to prevent? Poor little guy. He has enough problems without this. Thanks!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Stripeyfan

You can absolutely give him banana, if he'll eat it. You could also try a little bit of doggy pedialite (the stuff you give when they have the big D), as this contains potassium and other electrolytes/salts which can help.

Hope your boy feels better soon!

Has his thyroid been checked lately? Low thyroid function can lead to wicked leg cramps in people, and the same is probably true for other mammals.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).