He's Finnally Here

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

photo.jpg

This is Crawdaddy (hopefully soon to be known as Beckett) He just arrived today and with the excepting of two times (he told my dog Kadie to back off twice which she has learned and backed off) he gets along great with my other dog. The book was a big help however one question. He had his feeding at 12ish and has still not pooped even after walking for 30 min. Is this just a normal adjustment period for him? And is there a benefit to lure play with him or will that enhance his prey drive?

Guest IndyHound

Oh one other thing i forgot to ask the lady at the pet store we go to said a femur bone is ok for them to chew is this true. Cause it seems too tough to be good.

Welcome to you and your handsome new boy!! :clap :clap

I don't know where you are located or from what state he was hauled. Many times it does take time for them to build up bowel. He may have pooped out everything before he was put on the hauler. Don't worry the first day if no poops.

Personally speaking, if you have cats (or a very small dog), I'd wait to see how he settles with them for quite a while before considering lure play.

Welcome home Beckett!

I would not recommend a femur bone, especially from a pet store. An occasional raw meaty bone, yes. But read up on them first here on GT.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IndyHound

I am from Indiana and He was from Daytona Fla. He was fostered for 4 months prior to coming to live with me. Kadie is a Siberian Husky and no cats. Crawdaddy apparently thinks they are tasty.

Guest PiagetsMom

When I first brought Piaget home, she went 19 hours without doing anything , so I wouldn't worry too much about that. He may need a little time to settle down before he feels comfortable enough to take care of business. I'd just continue taking him outside frequently and give him the opportunity.

Same for playing and the bone/high value treat issue, especially since there's another pup involved - I'd give him a little time to settle in.

Beckett's a beautiful boy - Congratulations! :)

Guest twogreytkids

Congrats on adopting Crawdaddy!!!

He was a favorite among the GPA/Daytona Beach volunteers. Everyone will be glad to hear that he found his forever home.

BTW--Love the name Beckett.

Marcy

Guest IrskasMom

Gorgeous Boy and WELCOME to GreyTalk :wave:wave:wave:wave Yep ,you are on the right Place for all your Questions. Give him time ,time , time. It will all come together in time.

Congrats on your handsome guy!

Beth did not pee or poop for over 24 hours after I brought her home!

Definitely nix on the pet store bones. I'd also suggest you keep his feeding/treats really simple for now -- maybe one kind of simple treat only. Hounds often have loose poop or other GI disturbance after you bring them home and it's helpful not to have too many variables that might be factors, and also you can then see more clearly what treats agree or don't agree with your hound. (I was eager to try all sorts of different treats when I first got Beth, but in retrospect that wasn't a great idea.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad