Licking Chops While Sleeping?

Guest BrindleBoy

Guest LoriEric

I googled, but couldn't find much info... I know dogs make noises when they sleep... sighs, whines, etc... but our grey Indy has been "licking his chops" at night? I don't know if he's sleeping or not, and he's not licking "himself"... it's like I put peanut butter on the roof of his mouth. I'm not looking to correct him or anything, I mean, he does what he does, I'm just happy he's sleeping comfortably now, but it's loud... it actually wakes us up! :rolleyes: Just checking in to be sure this is relatively normal? I mean, it's not a sign of anything is it?

First dog?

:colgate

Dogs of all breeds, shapes, and sizes make weird noises when they sleep. George makes 10x more noise asleep than when he's awake.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

All 3 of mine make that sucking noise when they are asleep. They all sleep in my bedroom. I've gotten so used to it, i'll wake up when they are not doing it. :lol

Guest Bang_o_rama

Bang is more active - and noisier - asleep than awake. We have had to exile her from the bedroom at night because she wakes us up repeatedly with sleep yips, grunts, whuffling noises, etc. Add to that the periodic adjustments of her bed and blanket, looking out the bedroom window, staring into our faces from 3" away, making sure nothing suspicious has somehow snuck in from the bathroom, etc...

No wonder they sleep all day, because they don't sleep a lot at night!

~D~

Guest meggera

Vanille has growled a few times in her sleep as well as other various strange noises. I love it when she licks her chops in her sleep. It makes me giggle.