Big-D, Probable Intestinal Bug

Shane seems to have an intestinal bug, and I seem to have it too. We're both fasting. While I feel confident in taking anti-D pills, and they help, I'm not sure what I should do for Shane. Eating causes pain for me, so I'm guessing it won't do him any favors either, even though his stomach is growling with emptiness. But what are the arguments for or against giving him Pepto Bismol? Doesn't the bismuth in it help dispatch little buggy things? Thanks for any and all ideas.

Sunday update: Well, I thought he was better and fed him. (See Post 10.) But he had a small amount of dark diarrhea again. Some of that darkness is probably from the Pepto. I'm wondering if I should keep giving him Pepto -- he has only had one dose -- or if I should try some of the Flagyl we have on hand for Spencer. And if I do give Flagyl, it should be with food right? But maybe I should start fasting him again? All ideas welcome!

Btw, I called the e-vet for advice, but they're slammed with real emergencies and I couldn't get past an assistant (not even a tech), who wasn't helpful. ("We can't say anything without seeing the dog. But if you give him Flagyl, he could have seizures from the wrong dose.") Sigh. Just need to get to tomorrow and his regularl vet. I'm sure this doesn't require an actual e-vet visit.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Dr Couto still recommends Pepto. I would let him eat when he's up to it. I had a Gastro Vet tell me once that we need to let our dogs decide when it's ok for them to eat again. He said all too often we encourage them to eat really before their tummies are really ready for food.

Feel better.

Dr Couto still recommends Pepto. I would let him eat when he's up to it. I had a Gastro Vet tell me once that we need to let our dogs decide when it's ok for them to eat again. He said all too often we encourage them to eat really before their tummies are really ready for food.

Feel better.

I seem to be able to at least nibble, so if Shane says he wants to nibble, I'll let him and see how it goes. Do you happen to know if the recommendation is half the adult dose of Pepto or the whole adult dose? Or whether liquid is better than pills? (I have both since I went to the store.) Also bought a new digital thermometer (and probe covers) that says it works in 9 seconds! :) Many thanks for your help.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

hi

check out the article on Greyhoundgang.com website under "learn" and then "medical" about slippery elm bark. I have had a lot of luck with that with 2-3 doses ( i mixed it with cold water and gave about a tablespoon mixed in with pumpkin or yogurt). I found it at a health food store and it is for people and dogs.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Keep in mind pepto has aspirin in it. Pepcid does not.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tricolorhounds

We've been dealing with tummy upsets a lot lately... Our VERY greyhound saavy Vet recommends Pepto liquid. She's told me the pills do not always disolve, or can take a long time to disolve. The Pepto has worked very, very well for us. Make sure you take him outside as there will be some that leaks out the sides of his mouth.

With Gain'er, we fasted for 24 hours, then started on small portions of boiled hamburger only, then added some cooked oatmeal. Fed this way for probably 2 days and then started adding small portions of kibble. My Vet does not recommend rice.

Hope Shane feels better soon.

Thanks everyone! I was improved by yesterday afternoon, Shane took a little longer. Fasted him for 22 hours, then gave him 3/5 of his usual food. Had given him two Pepto tablets an hour beforehand, just to mollify the tummy and insult any lingering germies that might be susceptible to bismuth. I slept downstairs, and he was a little restless at first, but he never needed to go outside. This morning he got an almost normal-sized meal. So far, so good, and I think we're past it. If things get weird again today, we'll be talking to a vet, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Thanks much for your input on Pepto. I know there's disagreement about its use, I just couldn't remember the details. I did buy some liquid yesterday, and I'm glad to have it on hand for faster response. But by last night it felt like we could go the slower, pill route and avoid freaking Shane out with icky, runny pink stuff. ;)

I do think I'm finally going to get some slippery elm bark to have on hand too. Putting it in yogurt would totally work for Shane.

Edited by greyhead