Not Putting Weight On Back Left Foot

Guest fatesrelease

Guest fatesrelease

Hi everyone, it's been a while.

A few days ago Sarah had been making crying noises. She never cries/barks or anything, so immediately I was concerned. I did notice she was being extra lazy and not wanting to move from her bed but she is a super lazy girl so I didn't think too much of it. Then yesterday I noticed she wasn't putting any weight on her back leg. She wasn't running and pulled anything. I checked her paws, and everything. Not a mark. She is having a hard time getting up after she has been lying down and we practically have to pick her up. She walks on her leg but doesn't seem to be putting weight on it, and when she stands she lifts her leg up.

I called the vet and made an appointment for Friday, but any advice or ideas as to what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from Me and Sarah.

~Christine

They're making you wait until Friday? I'd check first thing tomorrow to see if they've had any cancellations.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest BrianRke

Yeah, I would refuse to wait till Friday, thats ridiculous! It sounds like it might be a dislocation but there is a long list of things it could be.

I would give the vet a ring and let them know your hound needs to be seen today. Let them know that you feel your hound needs radiographs asap. Fingers crossed it's not what we all fear. Keep us posted please.

I agree. Emphasize to your vet that she is basically incapable of getting up and if that doesn't sway them, is there an E-vet locally? If she is crying, she is likely in some pain/discomfort. As for what is wrong, could be many things: a sprain, arthritis, back issues, etc. and yes it could be Osteo and I emphasize 'could'. Get her checked out ASAP if possible and if you can't do you have any pain meds on hand that may make her more comfortable? I'm not a fan of giving any pain meds unless my vet says to however I also will not have my pup in pain so I have to balance the two.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'd call and tell the vet she's in pain and that she needs to be seen asap.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've taken my dog to the e-vet when timing for getting into the regular vet was just impossible. (Usually for me not the vet.) I know there could be extenuating circumstances preventing you from doing that but am mentioning the e-vet because of the importance of her seeing a vet. If she is in that shape something is very wrong. In the meantime keep checking her several times a day to see if you can find any swelling, tender areas, odd looking spots, etc. If something pops up, get her to the vet, regular or e-vet.

Hope it is not something too serious. Please let us know how things go.

Guest ScottH

Argos is having a similar problem. He started hopping around on three legs yesterday. It is also his left rear leg. He is not crying out and otherwise is acting normal.

He went right to the vets today. I had them squeeze me in (I worked from home today to make sure I would be available at any time).

The vet said she felt swelling in his knee. She felt he has a strain, sprain or partial tear of the ACL.

He is on rest for a week with pain meds to help him. If he is not improved in a week, he will be back for x-rays.

Good luck with Sarah. Please do get her in to see the vet as soon as possible!Keep us up to date.

If you give Sarah anything for pain, make sure your vet knows what, how much, and when. Many NSAIDS have a "wash-out" period, and it isn't safe to give a different pain med until that period is up.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Diana

If you give Sarah anything for pain, make sure your vet knows what, how much, and when. Many NSAIDS have a "wash-out" period, and it isn't safe to give a different pain med until that period is up.

Do yo u have any idea of the "wash-out" period for Ascriptin? I used it on a Thursday night for my girl and on Friday she went in to the vet for x-rays. She got injections there and then had a "strange" period of time where she was really out of it.

Do yo u have any idea of the "wash-out" period for Ascriptin? I used it on a Thursday night for my girl and on Friday she went in to the vet for x-rays. She got injections there and then had a "strange" period of time where she was really out of it.

Sorry, I don't know the wash-out period for Ascriptin. I think you'd only need to worry about the wash-out period if the injections at the vet were NSAIDS or steroids--or maybe other pain meds. A sedative for the x-ray probably would leave her loopy--but probably would have no complications with the Ascriptin the night before.

I've got a boy with spinal arthritis. Sometimes he takes Meloxicam for the pain. My vet made sure I knew about the wash-out period so that if something else happened with Sam and I had to take him to the ER, I'd be sure to warn the vets there about what meds he had taken.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)