The Good News Is: Molly Has Learned To Lay Down!

The down side is, she will literally ONLY do it in the spot I initially trained her in. :lol

It took her a long time to "get it"...I don't think she saw the value actually doing what I asked it until we discovered the wonder that is liver sausage. But once she got it, she got it quick and will lay down anytime she wants something I am eating or cooking. ("Look at me, mom! I'm laying down! Can I have some?")

But she'll only do it in that one spot. No matter where we are in the house working on training (we only have a couple areas with enough room), she will try to run back to that spot in the dining room and lay down. If I leash her and make her stay put, she looks as blankly at me as she did when we started working on it.:rolleyes:

Any tips on getting her to make the connection more easily? Otherwise, I know eventually she'll get it as long as I'm patient and I make it worth it!

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Congratulations on her successful "down"!! :)

The leash is fine, or better if there is a closed door or anything else to block off the doorway. A couple of chairs or box to block off the area. Eventually, it will click in her brain. Keep practicing for very brief sessions in other locations with high value treats. Keep it happy and fun for her. Give the command then wait to give her time to THINK. If she doesn't "get it" soon, quit that session so she doesn't get frustrated. Try again several hours later or the next day. If she wants the treat she'll eventually figure out / understand what you're asking of her.

Great job!!! :)

Guest tinams8

I agree, that is really cute! Lucy does something similar...she only knows "Go lie down" and when I say that she goes to her bed or in her crate. I haven't put any energy into working past it, though. I'm interested to hear how it turns out.

Congratulations! You might try getting her to lay down in the same spot but facing in a different direction. Next try a few feet to one side. Gradually move the spot where you ask her to lay down a bit at a time and she will get it. Dogs do have a difficult time generalizing. That is why when you go to a obedience show your dog who "knows" everything looks at you going "huh?" Even knowing that it still happens to me :blush

Several short training sessions a day are much better than one long session.

Good luck.

june

That can actually be very handy. There will be occasions you want her to go be out of the way. We used to call it "place" as in go to your "place" that is out of my way. That said, continue to work with the same command and the leash in different locations and she will get it eventually....

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana