Dehydrated And Won't Drink!

Guest Stripeyfan

We've given Kelly the dog equivalent a few times and he drank it straight down, I think because it's a bit salty/sweet. Of course, then he had to pee like a horse!

Well, thank you very much, Sheila! That'll be much cheaper! :) I like your term "water strike" -- very apt!

Pam and Stripeyfan, I'm giving it straight too, but I'm mixing it in with his food. He won't just drink it any more than he'll drink plain water. I'll give him more B-12 today and see if that helps again.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

• 9 years later...

My 2 yr old greyhound Ashley was recently hospitalized for two nights due to possible pancreatitis (definitive lab results will arrive in about 10 days). She was given fluids while at the vet but has shown no interest in drinking water during the two days she's been home. I did increase the amount of water that I added to her rice/chicken/kibble mixture but this did not encourage her to drink more water. I have been at a loss at what to do, when I found your forum which addressed this issue. I immediately dropped a handful of dry kibble into her water bowl and held my breath. Ashley began going after the kibble like she was bobbing for apples and inadvertently was drinking more water that she had in two days. I realize that this is a rely to an old posting, but I want any future readers to see that your suggestion was a valuable one. Thank you.