Question About Switching Food

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

I am considering switching Angie's food. Would introducing some canned be a good start or should we slowly introduce some kibble? She has had a problem with food in the past (primarily due to a sensitivity to chicken). It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a can first rather than a small bag only to find out she is sensitive to it.

Canned and kibble are different. She might do fine on the canned but not on the kibble, or vice versa. I'd buy what you plan to feed longterm. All retailers I know will fully reimburse for a bag of food that makes the dog ill, because all the manufacturers do the same. If I buy something that doesn't work for my dogs, back it goes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

They're really too different things so even if she does great on a new canned food right off the bat, you're going to have to introduce the new kibble slowly. Just buy a small bag to start, and mix it with her old kibble.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest TDotGreys

I would just add to watch your dog's coat quality on Natural Balance. We liked the food a lot so we wanted to try it with our guys, but all of them had absolutely horrid skin and coats within a few months. As I said we liked the food, so not saying NOT to try it, but just a heads up. We still use the Natural Balance rolls for training. :)