Grain-Free Peanut Butter Treats

Just wondering what folks think of this recipe I want to try. Found it here, all-natural-dog-treat.com

Peanut Butter Dog Treat Recipe

Ingredients:

3 cups Garbanzo & Fava Bean flour*

½ cup of organic peanut butter

1 cup water

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Combine all your ingredients into a food processor and pulse for 20 seconds, scrape down the sides and pulse again until everything is mixed.

Then, using a spoon, just spoon out the dough onto cookie sheets.

These are like drop cookies. You can make them larger or smaller as you like.

If you have a big dog, make them bigger, maybe even using two spoonfuls per dog treat.

If you have a small dog, use less dough to make smaller dog treats—you're in control of the size
:)

Bake for 20 minutes.

You can store these at room temperature for 2-3 weeks or in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. You can also make extra and freeze them!

Have never used garbanzo &/or fava bean flour but a I've seen fava bean flour in a health food store I frequently pass on the way to work. I have one Grey who is sensitive to grains, especially wheat. The other appears to be allergic to chicken. The Staghound is a picky eater. They all love big, hard, crunchy biscuits as snacks but finding no or low grain ones with no poultry products is proving to be a nearly impossible challenge. The closest I've found are small dog size. At least this way I can make these as big & thick as I want. Am thinking I can bake these for a while & then pop it in the dehydrator so the finished product is super hard & crunchy. Do you think that would work?

Guest K9Cookies

I haven't baked with garbanzo bean or fava bean flour either, but I can tell you that usually those strange flours don't hold together really well. If you can, you may want to add an egg or some honey. I don't see why you would use a food processor...I would just throw everything in a bowl and mix.

I think your dehydrator idea is a good one. Let us know how they turn out! :)

Guest tinams8

Some gluten-free flour blends have bean flours in them. They have an odd, bitter taste when raw that goes away mostly when cooked. It's probably not something that a dog would mind. They sound good to me; I'd like to hear how they turn out.