Calling All Valley Fever Dogs!

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Ugh. I HATE Valley Fever. It is a fungus that can settle anywhere in the body, and is very difficult to treat- and its long term. Unfirtunately its common here, especially pups who are outside a lot, digging, rolling around in the dirt, etc. They can kick up the fungus, and inhale it. Ugh.

Echo came to us with VF, so we knew it when we adopted her. No problem. We believe it settled in her leg, but we are not sure. (One of the first things my super savvy greyhound vet will do for a limping greyhound- check for corns, then test for VF.) If it presents in the bone, it causes lesions on the bone, like osteo. Scary to see that. It can be lethal wo treatment.

Sigh. Echo was bounced back to our adoption agency, and they disclosed she had VF. So, I think Echo has been on meds for a little over a year. She has a super low titer (1:2), so we are hoping the results from her blood work yesterday with a negative titer, meaning she beat it.

Her meds are 300mg c-fuconasole 1x per day.

For those who also have dealt with VF:

1. What was their med regimine

2. For how long?

3. What was their titer when they came off the meds?

4. Did it come back? (There are some theories that is never goes away, but can lay dormant in their system)

Thanks! Kelly & Echo :)

Mary Jo (BlackandBrindle) went through this with her sweet Sadie. There are threads about her experience and I'm sure she would be really helpful.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I was told Tony would be on them for around a year (that was last September). He is due for a blood test in the next week or two to check the titres. Protatek said he would need to stay on the fluconasole two months after a normal titre reading. So, if the next test is normal, he'll be on the med another two months, making the year mark!

He has been on milk thistle and stomach meds as well. Fluconasole is 145mg (I think--I'll check when I get home) twice a day.

btw -- he has had an extremely good acupucture vet from beginning to now. I believe her herbal combination used at the start of treatment, and needling pulled him thru. He looked like he was dying back then....

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Shermanator

Oh, no Burpdog! Where did his VF settle? Echo's (we think) is in her leg, and the only reason they caught it was her limping. :)

Guest Greytluv

Doni Rae is FV. She's never shown any signs of it. Her titer is 4-1. When it when up to 8-1 we put her on Fluconasole. It came down to 4-1 and she's not on anything now. I have her checked every year.