My Grey's Skin Tear

Guest HobbsMom

Guest HobbsMom

Hello everyone!

My husband and I rescued a beautiful brindle boy at the Northeast Animal Shelter in Salem, MA about a year ago. He is 3 years old and is called Hobbs. We feel blessed that he found us.

I have enjoyed this portal many times as a guest and have gotten so much sound advice I decided it was time I joined. Glad to be here!

I am here once again seeking advice and opinions.

We recently traveled to the UK for a visit with my husband's parents, and while we here gone Hobbs sustained a skin tear on his left chest, which unfortunately was down to the muscle. The sitter took him to the vet, who stapled it. However,for some reason it did not hold and when we arrived home 4 days later, it was open and the edges were necrotic!

We took him to the ER that night and the vet was wonderful; the wound is all clean now and sutured up but understandably it's now twice the length! He was quite uncomfortable and a bit odd from the drugs when we first got him home and I was very worried. That has resolved with time; he ate a good meal and is now sleeping soundly.

My question is this: how do I keep him form disturbing the incision? The E-collar completely freaked him out when I put it on and I have a feeling that the sitter did not use it. I have been lucky enough to be with him all day but am worried about tonight when he goes to bed.

Has anyone used the inflatable ones? Any suggestions?? Thank you all!

Guest dobiegrey

I have used the inflatable one and it did work quite well and it did not freak my boy out near as much as the "cone of shame". Good Luck, my Betty got a terrible tear last January (2010) and it had to be opened and undermined in order to close but now you can hardly see it. God Bless your Hobbs

Lou

If he freaks out with anything on his neck, you can vet wrap the whole chest (putting softer gauze over the sutures), then a T shirt over that. He can lick to his heart's content but shouldn't get to the wound.

This is for when you're not around to supervise, because the wound really should get some air to help heal.

Guest zombrie

I would put a t-shirt on him.

PS I remember Hobbs, he was originally at the kennel I work at - what a nice boy he is! Glad he found a good home

Yep, T-shirt works great. Ranger had a tear on his shoulder a couple of years ago and I put a T-shirt on him. When he tried to scratch it with his hind leg I put a baby booty on his back paw and used vet wrap to keep it on. That way if he tried to scratch at the stitches at least his nails weren't catching it.

Jujube sustained a large tear about a week after we got her. The vet also suggested a T-shirt after she reopened it. We tied a knot with the loose material around the bottom so it wouldn't catch on her back feet and it worked like a charm.

tshirt2.jpg

siggy2.jpg

And rather than a knot in the front of the shirt, you can pull the excess fabric up to Hobbs' back and rubberband it there. The location of Jujube's knot is not ideal for a boy. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BrianRke

My dogs hate the collar as well. I have used a small t-shirt in the past over top of vet wrap. Cut the t-shirt off half way for a boy.

And rather than a knot in the front of the shirt, you can pull the excess fabric up to Hobbs' back and rubberband it there. The location of Jujube's knot is not ideal for a boy. :)

What she said. I have knotted a shirt on the back too. The knot won't disturb him or be too bulky then. Also, you can pick up a kid's t-shirt in AC Moore or Joann for about $2.99 and keep a couple on hand.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds