Suddenly Distructive

Guest mattd3741

Guest mattd3741

I adopted my Greyhound about a month ago. In that time he has been the best dog a person could ask for...until the last few days. The first week we had him we kept him crated when we were gone. About 3 weeks ago we slowly began letting him have run of the house for short times getting longer as the days went. For the past 2 weeks he has had the run of the house when we aren't home. Yesterday he scratched at our garage door until he eventually figured out how to open it and when I came home he was standing in the garage. Today I left him for a few hours (3) and decided to lock the door so he couldn't get into the garage. Well it didn't work he scratched and chewed until he unlocked and opened the door and again was in the garage when I got home. I understand he is having separation anxiety but I cant keep up at this pace the door is ruined. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him to stop trying to get into the garage and keep me from replacing more doors?

Guest sheila

how much exercise does he get? I notice that when my dogs haven't had their regular walks for reasons like inclement weather they start to get antsy and tear things up. Another thought is perhaps you can gate off the room that the garage door is in.

Maybe go back to putting him in his crate when you're gone?

Sometimes the simple answer is the best one!

If he was doing OK in the crate, try it again.

You could also try using a baby gate to keep him in a room that doesn't have access to the door he's scratching. You could also try putting something in front of the door, like a chair. Yes, you might have to go around to your car, but it'll keep him from wrecking the door. He might simply start on something else instead.

Is he getting a good long walk before you leave?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mattd3741

I have him back in the crate but he hates it and I feel bad leaving him in there when I am at work. I guess that is better than having the door destroyed but I'm hoping we can find a way to get him to stop.

He's playing you, greyhounds are very smart. Put him back in his crate while you are away. You are the boss, not him.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest beemico

We've had our greyhound for almost a year now, and only recently we've been weening him out of the crate. Are you making the crate fun for him? We give our guy treat bags and kongs, so he's always excited to get in the crate.

Also, within the first month, they're still learning and bonding with you, so he probably didn't have much of a connection with you till recently. The crate is better for him since it forces him to calm down instead of releasing his energy negatively. It just takes time. Also when you put him in the crate, don't feel bad for him. If you're feeling bad about the crate, then he will too.

Hope that helps :) Our guy had pretty bad separation anxiety too. Not destructive, be he would pee in the crate for the first week and a half from anxiety.

Good luck!

Guest june

Just a thought. He may be trying to get to you. Does he see you go out through that door? Try going out another door and leave him for just a short while and see if that helps the problem. Also, you might want to take the car out of the garage before you go out the other door so he doesn't hear it leaving. Otherwise, as others have said, go back to crating him.

june

I have him back in the crate but he hates it and I feel bad leaving him in there when I am at work. I guess that is better than having the door destroyed but I'm hoping we can find a way to get him to stop.

Well, what do you mean, specifically, "he hates it"? Is he howling? Destroying stuff in crate? Or do you just THINK he hates it? Cause if he really does hate it, then it can actually be dangerous for him to be in there.

Have you read the McConnell booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon"? Sounds like you need to do what they call "alone training."

My dog hated his crate with a passion. I video taped him because I didn't believe my condo neighbors that he was "howling for hours." He was!!! It was horrible! I tried to baby gate him into one room. He hated that too. Finally I gave up, and he was just fine!

I do have to give him a Kong with peanut butter in it every day when I leave, even four years later, to keep him from whining those first few minutes, but he has learned I will ALWAYS come back. But it takes time and work. I also take him on a two mile walk every morning (Mon-Fri) no matter WHAT the weather is like. And he's almost 9! But it really helps, and he loves it.

Remember--greyhounds are NEVER alone. They're with other greyhounds 24/7 from the day they're born until they're sent off to live in a home. Then all the sudden--many of them are completely alone. He doesn't know what to do with himself, when and if you're coming home, etc.

You didn't answer the question a few of us had about exercise. A tired dog is far less likely to be aggitated when you leave. He's most likely going to just sleep!

If you're fortunate enough to have a fenced in yard, you may assume he doesn't need to be walked, but getting him out on a leash and briskly walking around is an excellent way to built a relationship, burn off some energy, and add some structured routine to his day.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mattd3741

Well, what do you mean, specifically, "he hates it"? Is he howling? Destroying stuff in crate? Or do you just THINK he hates it? Cause if he really does hate it, then it can actually be dangerous for him to be in there.

Have you read the McConnell booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon"? Sounds like you need to do what they call "alone training."

My dog hated his crate with a passion. I video taped him because I didn't believe my condo neighbors that he was "howling for hours." He was!!! It was horrible! I tried to baby gate him into one room. He hated that too. Finally I gave up, and he was just fine!

I do have to give him a Kong with peanut butter in it every day when I leave, even four years later, to keep him from whining those first few minutes, but he has learned I will ALWAYS come back. But it takes time and work. I also take him on a two mile walk every morning (Mon-Fri) no matter WHAT the weather is like. And he's almost 9! But it really helps, and he loves it.

Remember--greyhounds are NEVER alone. They're with other greyhounds 24/7 from the day they're born until they're sent off to live in a home. Then all the sudden--many of them are completely alone. He doesn't know what to do with himself, when and if you're coming home, etc.

You didn't answer the question a few of us had about exercise. A tired dog is far less likely to be aggitated when you leave. He's most likely going to just sleep!

If you're fortunate enough to have a fenced in yard, you may assume he doesn't need to be walked, but getting him out on a leash and briskly walking around is an excellent way to built a relationship, burn off some energy, and add some structured routine to his day.

By hate the crate I mean he tries to get out while he is in there. He has bent the crate many times trying to get out and has even cut his nose knocking against the crate.

He does get exercise 2 walks daily since we brought him home. I think it has to do with my girlfriend going out of town but I can't have him do this everytime she travels for work.