Nutritional Yeast

OK, I posted this in OT and didn't get any responses, so I'll repost it here where more people might see it. Refering to cats, hope that's ok

Does anyone know if it has the same appetite enhancing qualities for cats? Or if there is any reason cats shouldn't eat it? (assuming the picky little *%&%#* will)

Guest grey_dreams

OK, I posted this in OT and didn't get any responses, so I'll repost it here where more people might see it. Refering to cats, hope that's ok

Does anyone know if it has the same appetite enhancing qualities for cats? Or if there is any reason cats shouldn't eat it? (assuming the picky little *%&%#* will)

Some time ago I got nutritional yeast for the dogs. My cat Zola was interested in the smell, so I sprinkled a bit on her food too. She loved it. I was giving it to them on one meal per day. It's been some time ago so I don't remember exactly, but after a week or two I noticed that Zola started scratching herself. Nothing in the environment had changed. After a day or so of her scratching, I realized that she might be having some kind of allergic reaction to the yeast. I stopped giving it to her, and she stopped scratching. I'm not saying that this would happen to every cat, just sharing what happened with us.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I've never given it to cats but...

My dogs LOVE it! I also used it as a sub for cheese when I was Vegan. It has a distinct cheesy taste to it.

I had been using "shakey cheese" (Parmesan) and it worked, but she kind of went off it, so maybe she would like the yeast. She is getting better, but I may get some n. yeast this weekend and see if it helps.

Thanks! I would not want to use it permanently, just to get her eating well again.

Have you tried giving tripe?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb