Tick Question

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

I wasn't sure if this belonged in H&M or Off Topic.

I've never seen ticks on my dogs before. We previously didn't live in an area where they are too common.

The boys are on a flea and tick preventative. Today I found a tick on one of them. Does that mean the flea and tick preventative isn't working? Should I switch?

Guest LokisMom

I thought it killed them after it was on the dog, same as with fleas. I just don't know how long the tick was there. That's why I wasn't sure if I should be concerned or not.

Guest KsFrets

The stuff doesn't kill our ticks either, but it sure makes them easy to find and pull off. Kind of like they are half dead or drunk. When we don't use the front line, they dig in, are a bugger to get out, leave a sore that festers sometimes, and are very lively and try to get away. We do a tick check every night before bed, and so far have found 9 ticks our our dogs this spring. That's not many, but still, any is too many. They love to get inside their feet between the toes, and we've even found them in their ears. Any time we see a dog scratch, we check the area they are scratching.