Weight And Coat Health For New Adoptee

Guest ironandsalt

Guest ironandsalt

Hello, all! I was told after adopting Titan that he should gain a few more pounds, so I'm hoping to get his weight up to around 80 (from 76). I bought a 34 pound bag of Authority Large Breed dog food and his diarrhea has already hardened into what I saw described somewhere as Dairy Queen soft-serve style. He's had runny stools for as long as he was in foster care, just under two months. He flat out refuses his old kibble, so there hasn't been much of a transition into this new food since he picks around.

My question is, has anyone else used this food? Judging from the pet food grading Authority seems to be a good brand. Titan also has massive dander over most parts of his body, and I was wondering if this food might help with his skin and coat as well, or what I could add to his food to promote skin health. I've seen various suggestions on here such as fish oil.

Thank you! :heart

Edited by ironandsalt

I supplement Summer's kibble with Salmon Oil and her coat is shiny and soft. Is it because of the oil? :dunno But her kennel coat is sure gone.

As to the pudding and soft-serve poops... I would have a fecal test done for internal parasites, hookworm in particular. It seems to be a very common problem with fresh adoptees and is easily treatable.

Congratulations!!!!! Enjoy your wonderful new hound!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Hi! welcome to greytalk! :)

I use Aurthority Brand large breed puppy for all 3 of my Greyhounds (age 2 1/2- 11 years) and i love it. they have great coats and maintain a good weight and are healthy and active. You can also add flax seed oil or fish oils to the diet to help with dandruff, or just see how the food goes first.

it is normal for some of the hounds to have dandruff at first as sometimes it is caused by stress of transitioning to a new place.

you can see picture sof my hounds in some of my other threads so you can see what their fur looks like.

out of curiosity what is Titans race name?

Sorry, no idea about that particular food, but:

- add salmon oil to whatever he will eat and that will improve his skin / coat quickly.

- make sure there are no medical reasons (worms, GI issues) for the digestive problems

- Congrats on your new adoption and welcome to GT!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest ironandsalt

The AGR in Tucson actually had a fecal sample taken in last Thursday when Ti's foster mom took him for yearly shots (thankfully the same day I took Molly-that'll make future planning easy). They'll give me the results when they're in. I hope it isn't worms and it's just the stress of a change in environment and diet. The bread from that Subway sandwich he stole might play a role in all this, too. First night home and I forgot that he could reach my food, I'm used to a slightly shorter dog.

I'll look for Salmon Oil. It seems like the type of thing that will be at Petsmart.

Summer, by the way, is beautiful! I keep forgetting to mention that. I know she's fawn but to me palamino seems more appropriate. Even if that is basically the same thing. It's...fancier? :blush

Guest ironandsalt

Also, Titan's race name is simply Ahk Titan. :) I'll go looking for pics of your hounds. I picked Authority because of the price for the bag (afforable without looking like junk food) and man am I happy I lucked out on that pick. If it works for you, I'll just keep getting that! Though I got the adult food.

Guest BrianRke

The dogs in our adoption kennel usually eat Authority and it seems to agree with most of them. I have my three greys on 1200mg fish oil once a day and this seems to do a great job with their coat. I just buy the generic CVS brand.

There's not a huge difference between 76 and 80 lbs. He may just be thin by nature. If that's the case, I wouldn't force the weight on him.

If he really won't eat the kibble, he may just not like it. If the soft stools keep up, it may not be the food for him. Pro Plan has a Shredded Blend line that is VERY palatable and my picky eaters gobble it down like a normal dog should.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I agree he needs a different kibble. It takes many of us a good while of experimenting to find food that works well for our dogs -- do some reading in the Food and Nutrition section archives and you'll see that. Ratings (based on some individual non-trained person's idea of good ingredients, not on any science) also mean very little in terms of what food will work for any individual dog.

Be aware that fish oil can produce loose stools in some dogs.

Many newly adopted hounds have lousy coats, and his will likely improve over a few months even if you don't do anything.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mcsheltie

The AGR in Tucson actually had a fecal sample taken in last Thursday when Ti's foster mom took him for yearly shots (thankfully the same day I took Molly-that'll make future planning easy). They'll give me the results when they're in. I hope it isn't worms and it's just the stress of a change in environment and diet. The bread from that Subway sandwich he stole might play a role in all this, too. First night home and I forgot that he could reach my food, I'm used to a slightly shorter dog.

I'll look for Salmon Oil. It seems like the type of thing that will be at Petsmart.

Summer, by the way, is beautiful! I keep forgetting to mention that. I know she's fawn but to me palamino seems more appropriate. Even if that is basically the same thing. It's...fancier? :blush

Don't buy fish oil at PetsMart. If they sell it, it will be overpriced. Go to WalMart or Costco. Buy a human product.

Guest KennelMom

The best thing you can do for the coat: feed a good quality kibble and give it time.

Same thing for weight. Just give it time. And remember that greyhounds are supposed to be "skinny" looking!

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Also, Titan's race name is simply Ahk Titan. :) I'll go looking for pics of your hounds. I picked Authority because of the price for the bag (afforable without looking like junk food) and man am I happy I lucked out on that pick. If it works for you, I'll just keep getting that! Though I got the adult food.

I wouldnt worry to much about packing a ton of weight on him right away, let him settle in and get used to all the new things (food,people,house), as kennelmom said greyhounds are supposed to be "skinny" looking they are an athletic breed. When it comes to food, feed what you feel works best for him each brand of food work differently for different dogs. I choose to use Authority because it works well for my hounds, i have tried to use the super premium brands and it didnt work well for my bunch i know people who use the super premium brands for their hounds and it works well for them.

I hope he settles in nicely and you get to enjoy every moment with him! :)

Guest tinams8

I have noticed black dogs seem to have "dandruff" this time of year as their coat goes through a massive springtime shedding. It could be all dogs, but the black sure shows the flakes. :lol

I agree that time will fix both his weight and his coat. Congrats on your new boy!

Ooo, Titan is very handsome! I love the black doggies! Re kibble: It's taken me 11 months (!!!) to find the kibble that Summer loves. Lucky for me, so far she seems to also be doing well on it. It's not a super premium brand, either. Tried those, she didn't like them. Feed what Titan likes and does well on. It may not be Authority but here's hoping it doesn't take you 11 months to narrow it down, either. :lol

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Ian had similar dry skin issues shortly after we adopted him. We started using "Wild Alaskan" salmon oil (purchased at petco) and it helped a lot. We also feed grain free food. I think it's called natural balance, but it's the Dick van Patton brand-whatever that name brand is. It may be worth a try.

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

Guest LokisMom

I probably wouldn't start supplementing until the soft stools have hardened up. Fish oil right now just adds one more thing that might be causing runny poop. My dogs coats all filled out fine in time with no supplementation.