Abby Is Limping - Not Osteo

Guest formercatlady

Guest formercatlady

I haven't been on GT in awhile. Work is obnoxious about personal internet use..go figure! Anyhow, I'm desperate so:

Something is wrong with my poor Abby girl. She's been limping for about a week. We've been to the vet twice & got x-rays yesterday. The x-rays showed no signs of osteo, or arthritis so the vet suspected a muscle or ligament strain/injury. He said to just keep an eye on her & restrict her exercise for the next couple of weeks.

Fine..except that last night she was *much* worse. She cried off & on throughout the night and this morning, and showed extreme discomfort when she tried to move or get up. I had to MAKE her get up to go outside & potty this morning :( And again with the crying. Obviously we're back to the vet today for some bloodwork & anti-inflammatory meds. She's still eating, drinking & pottying normally.

Does anyone have any input? Similar situation? I hate that my poor girly hurts & I have no clue why.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Guest formercatlady

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for responding! There weren't any falls that I'm aware of. However, she & Eddie run in the backyard together and I've seen them knock into each other, and occasionally fall. I'm not always with them in the morning though, so it's possible. We do have a 6ft privacy fence, so it's not like they're running free.

DBF is on the way to the vet right now for bloodwork/meds. Have you taken your pup to the chiropractor? I know she's miserable, but don't want to make it worse :(

Kimberly, hard to say what's going on, though it could actually be an issue in her back. My first guess was corns until you said she's crying out when she's moving at night, too.

I wouldn't use a chiro until you have a DX. If you do get a DX that looks like she could benefit from chiro treatment, I can refer you to one (Malinda - she's great :) ). If you can't get a good DX, you may want to look at accupuncture first.

Hope your girl's feeling better soon! :hope

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Did you get x-rays of the spine as well as the legs? I ask because Molly has been limping off and on for a week +, and hers is being caused by a compressed disc in her neck. She's limping on her front left, but her back left knuckles under when the pain is bad.

Guest Swifthounds

Which leg has the limp?

It's her right, rear leg.

Can you isolate where the pain is coming from? Did the vet do flexion tests? With a rear leg it could be a pulled groin muscle, a leg muscle, discs in the lower back, LS, etc. A sprung or broken toe would usually have swelling there, but a corn would not be so obvious. Can you feel any heat?

Guest formercatlady

Thanks Meredith. I thought about corns, and used her Therapaw on our last walk on Monday evening, but it seemed to make matters worse!

Yeah..waiting for a DX makes sense. I’m such a tard when my pets get hurt, I lose all sensibility. Actually, I’m a tard most of the time but it’s worse when someone is hurt :blush

Did you get x-rays of the spine as well as the legs? I ask because Molly has been limping off and on for a week +, and hers is being caused by a compressed disc in her neck. She's limping on her front left, but her back left knuckles under when the pain is bad.

The vet only did leg & hip x-rays. I didn't think about her spine. He did tick titers today..and gave us some meds. Not sure what b/c I'm not home but DBF is taking care of her.

I'm the same way - try to figure out all possible diagnoses and modalities of treatment before I've even seen the vet :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest formercatlady

Which leg has the limp?

It's her right, rear leg.

Can you isolate where the pain is coming from? Did the vet do flexion tests? With a rear leg it could be a pulled groin muscle, a leg muscle, discs in the lower back, LS, etc. A sprung or broken toe would usually have swelling there, but a corn would not be so obvious. Can you feel any heat?

IDK what a flexion test is? He pulled (gently) & poked & prodded everything. I've been massaging her, but no area feels any warmer than normal?

X-rays can't really tell you much of anything if it's an issue with one of her discs - that would require an MRI. Hopefully you guys can get to the bottom of it without needing one. :hope

It sounds like your vet did a flexion test - that's where he would have taken her limb through range of motion to test whether she is extending and flexing correctly and whether there is any pain on extention or flexion :)

Guest formercatlady

X-rays can't really tell you much of anything if it's an issue with one of her discs - that would require an MRI. Hopefully you guys can get to the bottom of it without needing one. :hope

It sounds like your vet did a flexion test - that's where he would have taken her limb through range of motion to test whether she is extending and flexing correctly and whether there is any pain on extention or flexion :)

I surely hope so, but whatever she needs she'll get. I just sold my motorcycle, so luckily I have some extra $$$ :)

ETA: Thank you all!!!

Edited by formercatlady

Guest LokisMom

I have to disagree with waiting for a diagnosis before seeing a chiropractor or vet who offers those services. My boy collapsed, paralyzed in his hind end a few years ago. My regular vet took xrays, did tests, etc and couldn't figure it out. We made an appointment for an mri at OSU. The cost was pretty high. We saw 3 regular vets, all 3 were leaning towards having Clark PTS.

We went to a holistic vet who offerec acupuncture and chiropractic servies before going to OSU. Honestly, I thought it was silly and only went on the basis of why not exhaust every option before... you know.

We carried him into the clinic, he was unable to use his back legs. The vet ran a hand down his back, asked us some questions and took him in the back for an adjustment. Clark walked back into the room with the vet, walked out to the car and JUMPED in! After being unable to move his hind end for several days. It was like a miracle. I am a convert. I would give the chiropractor a shot just in case. But that's probably just because of how very well it worked for my boy.

I've never been back to a chiropractor for Clark and he's never been unable to move again. (And the whole thing only cost around $120) If I'd gone there sooner, I could have saved Clark and myself pain and stress and a good bit of money.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

LokisMom- I think what they meant was not to go to the chiropractor until they at least rule out some more issues. The last thing you want to do is manipulate the spine if there is a ruptured disk or something like that.

My suggestion is to get spine x-rays and ask the vet before going to the chiropractor. Radiographs cannot show the discs themselves, but it can show narrowing of the space between the bones so it can give them an idea of what is going on.

-Kate

LokisMom- I think what they meant was not to go to the chiropractor until they at least rule out some more issues. The last thing you want to do is manipulate the spine if there is a ruptured disk or something like that.

Exactly.

Guest Swifthounds

Exactly.

:nod

Acupuncture is fine, but chiropractic adjustment to address a specific injury without at least an x ray for diagnosis is I'll advised and can be very damaging. I've done both chiropractic for health and for specific injury and I've never had an adjustment to address injury (human or canine) without x rays. Can a good chirp tell a lot about the skeleton by feel? Yes, but even the good ones aren't psychic.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest formercatlady

Thank you all for the great information!

It seems my sweet girl is feeling better today. *I* was up all night listening for her cries, but SHE got a good night's sleep ;)

She had a little spring in her step this morning, so I’m cautiously optimistic that it’s nothing too serious & that the anti-inflammatory meds are helping :goodluck

Will see how she’s doing when I get home.

I so appreciate everyone's input :)

Sounds good, Kimberly. I know you know this, but make sure she's on leash walks only for a while, including short potty visits in the yard :) To that end, you may want to turn out Eddie separately to avoid the temptation of potty sprints.

Guest formercatlady

:nod Yep. I had all three out this a.m., with Abbers on lead, and Special Ed was definitely trying to initiate some zoomies.

She'll be doing solo performances for the next few weeks. Thanks for the reminder :)