Marking Question

Guest NJgrey

Guest NJgrey

We've been watching my mom's female bichon for about a week now while she's on vacation, and we've noticed our female grey, Ellie, has marked twice now outside the bedroom door while we're not home. She has no problem holding it for 8 hrs under normal circumstances, and the amount of pee present is too small to be from a full bladder but too big to have come from the 15lb bichon. She's hasn't been asked to hold it more than 8 hrs the entire week, the longest she went was 7 hrs and there was no issue with peeing, so I don't think it's an issue of her not being able to hold it.

Ellie has been an only dog as long as we've had her. Is this common behavior for some dogs when a new one is introduced to the home? She's not aggressive towards the little one at all, she's actually very tolerant and accommodating (e.g. the little one lays on her bed, Ellie isn't pushy when we're giving treats or at dinner time etc.)

This bears particular relevance for us since we're planning on chipping relatively soon with a male greyhound and it'd be nice to know what to expect. If this is something that's common or something she's likely to do with another dog in the house we'll have to start gating off the upstairs/ bedroom area again.

I'll get her urine tested just in case of a UTI, but any behavior advice would be appreciated :) Thanks

It happened every time we added a new hound around here. Marking is more common in males but some females are markers also. Of my three girls, one has to go pee right over where my other two have already gone outside. I would make sure I cleaned the spots very thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner, especially on carpet. I've also found spraying a mixture of water and vinegar tends to hide the scent and discourages remarking of the same area.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It eventually stops when the pack settles down and the new one is accepted into the pack.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee