Therapaw For Arthritis Pain?

Guest Gemma

Guest Gemma

I know Therapaws and similar booties are recommended for greys with corns but I am wondering if anyone has found that they help significantly with arthritis pain? Peyton has an old break that was set extremely badly and it has caused deformation of his ankle and some of his toes. We have been managing his pain with Tremadol very effectively. However, our new, young foster has encouraged him to play zoomies in the yard every day and this eventually had a negative effect. On Sunday, his bad ankle swelled up hugely and he's now on the doggy equivalent of bed rest (potty breaks only; no running or walks for 2 weeks).

We believe he will be able to go back to his long walks in time but lots of zoomies are out, and it's likely his walks will need to be shorter as he ages. I am interested in getting him a bootie as it seems that the impact from running and long walks is what caused the inflammation.

Anyone have any luck with this? I'm just trying to extend the time he can enjoy his walks for as long as possible since they're one of his main joys in life. TIA! :)

My link

These look like doggy sneakers and may be helpful. Dogs aren't allowed in REI, but if you bring him and tell them you are looking at the dog boots, they usually make an exception so the dog can try them on.

eta: The REI outlet looks like they have some as well.

Edited by Sambuca

Gemma - I have a few of the Therapaws if you want to try them. I don't know if they will fit Peyton because they were sized for Ivy, but we aren't using them.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest Gemma

My link

These look like doggy sneakers and may be helpful. Dogs aren't allowed in REI, but if you bring him and tell them you are looking at the dog boots, they usually make an exception so the dog can try them on.

eta: The REI outlet looks like they have some as well.

Thank you!

Gemma - I have a few of the Therapaws if you want to try them. I don't know if they will fit Peyton because they were sized for Ivy, but we aren't using them.

Ooo, this would be awesome! Could you send me measurements whenever you have a moment? There is no rush, though; we can't do anything until all the swelling is down, and I know you are spending lots of time with Princess right now. :)

Does he take an NSAID regularly? Tramadol is good for pain, but not for inflammation.

George takes a daily dose of Deramaxx to keep his creaky pains at bay, and Tramadol when his LS acts up.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Gemma

Does he take an NSAID regularly? Tramadol is good for pain, but not for inflammation.

George takes a daily dose of Deramaxx to keep his creaky pains at bay, and Tramadol when his LS acts up.

No, just the tremadol. We had him on metacam originally but it resulted in seizures since it wasn't touching the pain (Peyton only seizes when he is in a lot of pain) so we moved him to the Tremadol and he is doing great. He is currently on a 5 day course of Rimadyl and no seizures so far, likely because he is taking it with his standard pain med.

I might talk to my vet about keeping Rimadyl on hand and offering it up after really heavy exertion or long walks. We're doing cold compresses, right now, and that has also helped. :)