How Do You Teach A Greyhound To Heel?

Success!

I got out of work at a reasonable hour and the weather was nice enough today to work on "heel" training outside (working inside didn't go so well... tiny house!) So off we went. Riley is one smart cookie. By the end of a 20-minute walk I had him heeling. He's not perfect yet, but he's got the idea. We used the stop-start method and he got it right away.

Bonus: Raven went with us, and my old girl learned how to heel too. She's always been fairly polite on a leash so I never bothered teaching her to heel. But by the end of the walk, she was heeling right along with Riley. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

:yay

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

:yay Glad to hear that it went well!

When I walk my dogs, I get them next to each other at my left and keep them on a short leash. I always put Pinky in the middle because she will weave :lol So we walk like a team of horses. Ace has always been one that wants to "lead" the pack, so I give her just the slightest bit more slack than the rest of them so she can feel important. :lol But now I'm wondering if I should be indulging this or not. I've had her for almost 8 years and she's always been this way...I don't find the behavior to really be so over the top. She IS the alpha dog though so to me it makes sense that she wants to lead her pack. When we walk together just the two of us, she walks at my left with the leash practically dragging on the ground between us.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest ReleaseTheHound

I walk mine with a 6 foot leash, that has a knot tied about 16 inches above the snap hook. The loop goes over my wrist for security, and when I need a short leash, I just grab the knot.