Biliruben In Urine?

Guest CharlieHorse

Guest CharlieHorse

Hello all,

Charlie had been doing well for almost eight months, and then all of a sudden, he was drinking all the time, urinating constantly, and blood started to appear in his urine. We took him to the vet, they did a urinalysis, and came up with the ph being alkaline (it was a 9), white blood cells present, and calcium oxalate crystals. He was prescribed Amoxicillin and we changed his diet. He had been on the Costco Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato, and we switched him to Addiction Salmon Bleu. He's been good for a little over a month, and then he started drinking a lot and peeing a lot again.

We did another urinalysis and this time the ph was fine (6.5), there were no white blood cells or blood, but the bilirubins were in the Large range. Does anyone have any suggestions? Poor Charlie has been sick more than he's been well since we've had him...

Thanks!

I'd suggest full blood work in addition to a urine culture. Sorry your boy is not feeling well. :(

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Ditto the suggestion for bloodwork.

Do you have the full urinalysis results? There are a few things that can produce a false high bilirubin on the dipstick test, in which case a quick follow-up test can be performed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CharlieHorse

Looks like blood work is the general consensus... it's kind of nice to know that it could be a false positive... like I said, he's not really exhibiting any terrible symptoms, but I think I'll get the blood work just to be safe, thanks for all your comments! This website is such an invaluable resource!