First Time Feeding Hamburger

Guest kerber

IIRC she was feeding the Canidae for a month or so before symptoms appeared. So it could be either food or any of the meds.

Didn't she stop the Canidae for a day or two and still get the reaction? I thought she did but I could be mistaken about that.

If she's still getting the reaction on beef, it likely isn't the food. If she isn't getting the reaction on beef, it is one of the foods and given the nature of the reaction I would be cautious about adding commercial foods back in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

IIRC she was feeding the Canidae for a month or so before symptoms appeared. So it could be either food or any of the meds.

Didn't she stop the Canidae for a day or two and still get the reaction? I thought she did but I could be mistaken about that.

If she's still getting the reaction on beef, it likely isn't the food. If she isn't getting the reaction on beef, it is one of the foods and given the nature of the reaction I would be cautious about adding commercial foods back in.

I had to go back and check the other threads that had been started on this. The problem started 1 month into feeding Canidae and 9 months into the meds. The 1 month time could have been the time it took for the allergen level to build to cause reaction. She posted the problem on the 18th and gave him a new food on the 19th at which point the dog had another reaction, so there was no break. The reaction she is getting from the beef is different than the original reaction. With the original reactions he was turning beat red all over which lasted several hours.

Guest Swifthounds

What Julie said.

The vitamin supplements are really anything from useless to harmful. The last thing you want with an elimination diet it to add more things in, especially things with unknown fillers. Anyone who tells you red meat fat (cooked or otherwise) is bad for dogs is just plain ignorant or just plain lying - and usually trying to sell you something.

We think of beef as chock full of protein (eh,...) but it's also got a lot of other nutrients if you look at the USDA site. Over time, the only thing worth considering worrying about is the phosphorous/calcium ratio, but that can be easily remedies by cleaning egg shells and pulsing them in a coffee grinder. Short term, nothing is a huge worry.

The rice is not very nutritious, but some people find that it helps solidify the stool a bit. A diet of nothing but beef can cause that issue for some dogs. Regardless you want to feed mostly the beef, since that's the nutritious portion of the diet.

I'm glad (for you) that he pooped. Now you can stop fretting.

Guest kerber

Great discussions here - thanks so much for taking such an interest in my dog.

This is the first animal, besides goldfish, that I got since leaving the parental nest after high school, and only the third dog in my entire life- he is the first (and only) greyhound.

My husband and I brought Bo-D into our lives when he was 5 years and 5 months old (we are his third adoptive home after racing - first bounceback was cuz the family was getting a divorce, and the second family "mom" didn't like his clingy-ness is what we gathered), and now he is 13.5 years - we have no children, so he really is my "baby"; this whole aging process of his is hard to watch, and being clueless about how to help a Sr. greyhound adds to my feelings of being helpless.

I appreciate your comments about the vitamin supplement; I just want to make sure my lack of greyhound nutritional knowledge isn't hurting him or making him uncomfortable or making the situation worse. He was able to snuggle up with us upstairs in the big bed and slept the entire night without fuss, which meant I got a good night's rest as well, finally - been sleeping with him on the main level for a while now in case of having to get outside asap.

So the strictly cooked beef with a tad bit of rice has, in my opinion, helped him tremendously. Gas is way down to almost non-existance, he isn't whiny when he does pass gas - that used to sound like he was crying - and he hasn't turned that dark, beet red color with purple tongue - no panting like he was doing. So something is working, just want to make sure I am not neglecting other health needs due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge.

Is there a book for Sr. greyhound care out there?

Edited by kerber