Ls And Today's Vet Visit

Guest kerber

Guest kerber

My dog was diagnosed with LS about a year ago and 2 weeks ago my vet was willing to use the Stack Depo-Medrol shot in the LS area to see if it helped. The vet had never done the shot before, so I gave her the directions people on these boards mentioned. Question #1 - is it possible to screw up this shot and miss the intended area it should be injected into? There was no immediate improvement - Question #2-how fast acting is this shot? When do you notice if it has worked or not?

About 4 days after the shot, I was assisting my grey up the stairs and we took a tumble down the stairs. Bo-d never yelped, but since then it is not apparent the Depo-Medrol shot helped - so I wonder if the vet unintentionally could have missed the target, being this was the first time she gave the shot OR he got injured after that fall and there is swelling/compression of the nerves back there. After not improving, we went to the vet today with our story of the last couple weeks. I asked if it is possible there's a herniated disk, vet said there is a possibility, but that was the end of that discussion, she didn't offer up any MRI to see if there is disk problems. I asked a gazillion more quetions and the conclusion was to increase his prednisone to twice a day for a week, then once a day after (he takes 1/2 pill) to help with any possible inflammation. Before we left, the vet said she's running out of tricks. She has suggested acupuncture, and I will be following up with that.

Question #3-how restrictive should Bo-D's environment be? I sleep on the main floor with him now to avoid the huge staircase, but there are a couple of steps to the back yard he navigates to go potty - part of me says not to help him up the steps because I don't want any muscle loss, the other part of me says help him in case he needs to heal any injury from that fall. What to do?

Thanks! I am just not quite ready to give up on finding something to help my dog.

e-mail me at Houndkeeper @ sbcglobal.net and I will hook you up with someone that can answer those questions. Promise.

From what I know Depro works for some dogs and not for others.

Three different vets gave Rex his and they all worked but have heard of some dogs it didn't help.

With Rex it was working in a couple of days, but hard to say as he got his first when he had corn surgery and the others as the previous were wearing off....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest dancewkathylee

Maybe you could try an orthopedic vet. I don't really know much about the subject but, it sounds like it is a degenerative thing that is probably more treating the symptoms than the disease. Yes??

Guest kerber

Maybe you could try an orthopedic vet. I don't really know much about the subject but, it sounds like it is a degenerative thing that is probably more treating the symptoms than the disease. Yes??

How does degenerative myleopathy (sp?) get diagnosed? Is it possible LS is wrong dx?