Got A Diagnosis For Beth's Digestive Issues

Sutra always made it pretty clear when he was starting to feel a bit iffy too...it wasn't uncommon for him to not want to eat ALL of his breakfast, but, if he didn't eat dinner as well and then skipped breakfast altogether the next day, I would know that we were looking at a flare up. He would also get just a little bit mopey and that was a signal too. You'll notice things with Beth too :nod

Hmm, actually Beth has rarely been off her food -- even when having poop issues she's generally been a chow hound. I wonder now about the incident in the fall/early winter where she started vomiting and did act really mopey for a few days, that we decided was a stomach bug (though I think it may really have been that). But I'll keep an eye on her. It's actually sort of exciting to think she may have fewer poop problems in future now that we know what sets her off.

I realize I'm going to have to stop using peanut butter in her Kong, poor girl -- she loves it so! I smeared some canned I/D in there today, yuck -- though she seemed happy enough. (I looked at the reduced fat PB in the market today, but the fat really isn't all that much lower, and of course they make up the difference with HFCS or sugar, bleah.) I stopped using low-fat cream cheese a while back because I thought it set off D once, but I might have to carefully try it again.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly is on a VERY low-fat home-cooked diet of chicken and rice, as his IBD means he is unable to eat anything else. We supplement with 3 fish oil caps daily, probiotics and a complete vitamin and mineral supplement. Apart from during his twice-yearly shed (which has just started, oh joy!) his coat is ultra-soft and shiny, better than it ever was on commercial food.

Hope Beth is feeling better now and you can find a food to suit her.

I would LOVE to be able to give Beth fish oil in the future, but now I'm 95% sure that's what set off her recent flare-up, so I'd be pretty nervous -- maybe if the rest of the diet was low-fat enough it would be OK. Actual fish might work better -- she's had that many times without apparent incident, and rinsed canned salmon isn't too fatty but still has good Omega 3 levels. Kelly's regimen sounds impressively simple all in all, and I'm glad he's doing so well. The idea of being able to eventually feed Beth partly home-cooked is appealing, but one thing at a time for now.

Thank goodness she really really likes the I/D! She also appears pretty enthusiastic about the affiliated hypoallergenic treats the vet recommended as safe.

Thanks Kristin. The Wolf King looks like something Beth would like -- she loves bison. I really like the idea of home-cooked as an addition (as I was adding raw before), but would probably want some portion of kibble to make sure all the vitamins etc. were getting covered.

I'm glad you had experience of a dog who did well with this condition (and of course Beth hasn't had acute pancreatitis). Beth seems so healthy and vigorous in most ways, I want her to stay that way as long as possible!

To follow up on your concern about vitamins with a home-made diet, if you do a diet put together by a vet they should also tell you precisely what is needed for vitamins and calcium along with fish oil and what off-the-shelve supplements can be used to provide it. I know the Angel Memorial nutritionist has started to recommend an on-line supplement that has everything and one of the supplements is specially formulated for animals with kidney issues and is low in phospherous. I personally don't use the online source because I would rather use formulations that I can find in a local pharmacy (it's also much cheaper).

I know each dog is different :rolleyes: but Fletcher can not tolerate any fish oils, capsules, Salmon oil, any of it. However, he does fine with canned sardines and I used to also give them jack mackrel, when it was cheap. He has no problems with actual fish. I also have a friend who has a cat who can't eat any kind of fish cat food, but does just fine with plain cooked salmon or tuna. Something in the processing, I guess :dunno

Yes, I gave Beth jack mackerel and sardines and canned salmon many times without incident. And she did best on fish-based kibble. I think it was the concentrated fat of the fish oil that was the problem. It'll be awhile before I try even fatty fish again, as it's now seeming like she was just under the threshold of pancreatic trouble a lot of the time.

I'm a bit :headwall for having tried the salmon oil after reading so many raves here about it here (and I do take fish oil myself). But I'm also feeling incredibly relieved in a way, if it contributed to finding out what Beth's problem is without either a full-blown hospitalization incident or even longer-term undiagnosed damage.

Edited by PrairieProf