Seizure?

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

Yesterday, Peace was fine in the morning, alert, perky..she went for her walk and had her breakfast and of course by then needed her nap. She was on her bed in the front room while I was cooking brunch for the family...I went in afterward just to check on her like I always do and when I got down on the floor, I noticed their was a wet spot on her blanket..it wasn't urine, she does have incontinence and will leak at times..anyways it was from her mouth..her mouth area was soaked, I never seen anything like that before..called hubby to look and he didn't know what to make out of it either..we called to see if she wanted to go outside..she stood up, walked funny for a bit like her back legs were too far apart..now she does have arthritis and is often sore but this seemed a bit different..she went outside and went to the bathroom and seemed fine then..came back in and napped the rest of the afternoon until walk time and was fine then..anyone have a thought? she is nine, has been on proin and deramaxx for some time..just had bloodwork two weeks ago and everything was normal...right now she is sitting here looking at me for being on the computer and not getting ready for our morning walk.

I think you need to refer this to your vet. Whilst it could be a kind of focal seizure, it could also be from compulsive licking, or it could be hypersalivation from something like an insect or spider bite (used any different chemicals on the bedding or carpets, outdoors where the dog walks etc?), or maybe a sore tooth or gum.

If the unsusual getting up behaviour occurs again it might be a good idea to video it for the vet to see.

That's a hard one because you didn't see anything. Does she normally nap all afternoon? The reason I ask is because seizure dogs will often sleep for a good while after a seizure. She also could have been licking the bed or just drooling a lot, unless she's not known for those things. All you can do at this point is watch her closely and see if something happens again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I find that after Phaelin has a seizure, the drool area that he leaves behind has an iridescent sheen to it. If the area is still there, you could check for that.....otherwise, it's hard to tell if it was a seizure or not if you didn't see it. Hopefully it was just drool.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest peacehound

I talked to the vet today, she said to keep an eye on Peace, it could of been a seizure but it's hard to say because I didn't see her..I hope it was only drool but she has never had such a wet spot from drool...crazy senior, one thing after another with her, good thing we all just love her to pieces~

That's a hard one because you didn't see anything. Does she normally nap all afternoon? The reason I ask is because seizure dogs will often sleep for a good while after a seizure. She also could have been licking the bed or just drooling a lot, unless she's not known for those things. All you can do at this point is watch her closely and see if something happens again.

she does nap all afternoon..just assumed all greys did! thanks for the reply, I will just try to watch her