Took Miss Adora To The Vet For A Sore Leg That Seems To Be Getting Wor

Guest NSGREY

Guest NSGREY

When Adora was retired she had had a bad injury to her hock. Exactly what happened we don't know but all we were told and can figure out from her paperwork is that it was a bad break. Since we have adopted her 3 years ago she has had some discomfort with it but we give her a course of Dermaxx and rest her back leg and off she goes for another million miles. Well she has been dealing with another "flareup" since the fall and we tried the same course some Dermaxx and rest. It would seem to get better and then it would flare up again. I will admit we should have had her in the vet long before we did but it just didn't work out with everyone's schedules and such.

Long story short.

Vet took an X-ray of her leg which is important as she is now going to be 8 years old and he saw some definite arthritis changes in her joint. Showed us the changes on the X-ray but the good news is she still has good muscle tone in her back legs and the long bone looks fine..

Here's where I felt like a dummy. He also looked at her pad of her foot and as he was doing it it suddenly dawned :blink: on me. CORN! I never thought to look to see if she has a corn on her foot. She has one and he showed it to me. Not really raised and she doesn't like you to touch her foot but now I should get her a therapaw boot for the foot because we have so much snow/ice and it's cold on the ground.

So, now I'm looking for info on how to treat corns and what works what doesn't. He mentioned using Abreva on the corn but I have read that it can be not helpful as the corn has to be viral in nature? also mentioned the duct tape idea. I feel bad for Adora as I know that we should have had this addressed long ago. :(

Glad to hear it's "only" a corn. rolleyes.gif But those little buggers suck. angryfire.gif

Here is the Grassmere site on corns including info on hulling them.

Here is the linky on the corn cream.

Here are the boots my Conor wears: neopaws

There was also a yahoo group for corndogs using bee propolis but I'm not sure it's still around.

I'm trying the duct tape method at the moment. dry.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest NSGREY

Thank you for your reply I appreciate will check out the links later on but quick question? what size neopaw did you order? the sizing baffles me(course a lot in life baffles me :P )

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Welcome to the corn club! I have Buzz's corn hulled every month. I've tried all sorts of stuff that hasn't worked. He gets a huge on on his front foot. I just had it hulled last week in fact so no limping right now.

Thank you for your reply I appreciate will check out the links later on but quick question? what size neopaw did you order? the sizing baffles me(course a lot in life baffles me :P )

Baffled me too. I got an email from the owner, Ronnie - I guess I ordered the elephant size. tongue.gif She was very knowledgable because she was spot on with the size for Conor. He wears a M+ for his front paws. I did get a pair for his back paws - I think they're a medium. If by some chance they don't fit, you can return them. You can't do that with therapaws - I understand the infectious thinking but these damn things don't seem too contagious.

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I've heard a lot of people have success with putting a piece of duct tape over the corn to help remove it. If Nadir gets another corn I will try this method. I opted for the surgery route only because by the time I learned it was a corn that was causing him to be in so much pain when walking I had spent 3 years going from vet to vet trying to find out why. I tried hulling and it actually made it worse. The surgery was done March of 2010 and :goodluck the limp is gone and there have been no corn reoccurences.

I've heard a lot of people have success with putting a piece of duct tape over the corn to help remove it. If Nadir gets another corn I will try this method. I opted for the surgery route only because by the time I learned it was a corn that was causing him to be in so much pain when walking I had spent 3 years going from vet to vet trying to find out why. I tried hulling and it actually made it worse. The surgery was done March of 2010 and :goodluck the limp is gone and there have been no corn reoccurences.

I had Conor's surgically removed too from both front paws (Dec 09). I think there is still some sensitivity (but no actual corn) so that's why I still put boots on him for long walks. But he was unable to walk without limping on every surface so I consider the surgery a success. He's got one on each back paw as well & those I'm trying to manage with hulling, corn cream & now duct tape. It stays on longer than I thought it would. He thinks I'm nuts. wacko.gif