Levi Upset Tummy?

Guest kimt29

Levi (6 yr. old male) occasionally get "gurgley" gut , sounds like a monster is in there. It is usually followed by a few episodes of vomitting yellow mucus, and then he's fine. This time he refused 3 meals, which he never does. I finally got him to eat a little rice with a small amount of kibble. This resulted in rancid diarreha. I don't think he got into anything although we did go to the dog park 3 days before this started. He is on limited diet food (venison & sweet potato) and no grains. This is the 3rd day and he's eating most of his meals and drinking water, but still has loose stools. My question is, what causes this and what can I do for him?

My last dog was a dedicated puker! It was almost yellow bile stuff. My vet had me give him a daily Pepsi, and that helped a LOT!

I would personally take a stool sample to the vet at this point--he could have a wide variety of parasites (easily treated).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mcsheltie

You should talk to your vet. It may be a coincidence that you were just at the dog park and soon after didn't feel well. But it may not be... He could have picked up a bug, giardia, worms... Since he is on a limited diet he may not be able to tolerate rice, so that didn't help.

The bile vomit you have experienced beforehand could be acid reflux or the need for frequent smaller meals so his stomach is never empty. Pepcid could be helpful, but if it acid reflux there are better options.

I am assuming Susan meant Pepcid, not Pepsi? Pepsi settles my stomach if I have a handover :lol but I have never heard of a vet prescribing it.

I'd say, stool sample in and vet visit -- sounds like a prescription for Flagyl would be in order. It's an antibiotic but also quiets an irritated stomach. It's typically the first line of treatment for upset stomach issues. (I've been through GI issues with my girl enough that I can just ask for the prescription if she's having D without bringing her in.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Just wanted to make a point about flagyl (aka metronidazole). True, it's an antibotic that can reduce inflamation in the gi tract and it also has anti parasitic properties but, it is not dispensed for stomach/vomiting symptoms. It is more effective for lower bowel disease such as diarrhea/colitis. Flagyl can actually cause tummy upset.

Guest kimt29

Thanks for the replies.

Took Levi to the vet Tuesday. Gave him a antibiotic shot, Flagyl, an antibiotic, and a GI Health Pack. He wanted to run a liver and pancreas panel. I didn't. Stool sample results showed no problems. This morning (Thurs), loud gut noise, liquid diarreha, and threw his breakfast up a few minutes after eating. I guess it's another trip to the vet. They are fairly familiar with geryhounds. Any other suggestions or thoughts?