Not Eating

Guest christine1223

Guest christine1223

Hi all,

We have had our (very first) greyhound since October and she has been a great eater so far, but for the past 2 days she has refused to eat any of her meals. She won't even eat her favorite treat. Her normal food is Purina Pro Plan shredded mix with yogurt added. I don't think she has diarrhea but she is eating dirt/grass when she goes outside?! I am hoping to get a vet appointment tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what the outcome was. I know this is pretty general, could be a bug/virus, etc. Last weekend she had some loud grumblings in her stomach but she was still eating and that only lasted for one day. I am not aware of any other symptoms, but she has been quieter than usual. Also, what would be reasonable tests for the vet to do? Blood work? Anything else aside from a general physical exam? Any thoughts appreciated!

We have a greyhound knowledgable vet so no worries there.

Edited by christine1223

General physical and a good look in mouth/teeth. Bloodwork if nothing shows up there. Is she drinking and staying hydrated?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest christine1223

Thanks for the reminder about mouth checking, I had thought of that but then forgot. The first vet visit (back on October), well, they were quite amazed by how great her teeth were. Super clean for a grey apparently. She doesn't drink much water normally but is still sipping. I tried the skin pinch test and I think she is ok so far.

Vet appointment -- I would think a course of Flagyl (metronidazole) would be a likely thing to try -- typically the first line of defense for any tummy issues. You probably should bring in a stool sample too while you're at it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Stool sample definitely. Like the other post said, probably a round of Flagyl. if she continues not to eat, you might need to do the boiled chicken or boiled ground beef with rice or pasta. If your pup won't eat those, you may need to try some scrambled eggs or I/D food. Your vet will let you know the best course of action depending on any test results.

Keep an eye on weight and hydration. They lose weight fast when they stop eating.

Don;t try too many things at once, otherwise you won't know what worked. Usually it's a gradual process to get them eating again and get the tummy healed if there is irritation or a problem.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

A Pepcid tablet might settle her tummy, if it's upset.

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.