Chase Peeing In The House

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

A couple weeks ago we noticed one of the dogs had been peeing in the house at night and while we were gone during the day. We had no idea which dog it was but one of the pees was on the wall... and unless Lulu or Skah had backed their butt up and peed on the wall, we figured it was Chase (Skah still pees like a girl).

Until two weeks ago, that is. We had kicked Skah and Lulu out of the bedroom for playing and Chase was the only one left. I was awakened at 2am (we didn't go to bed until midnight and all dogs go potty JUST before we go to bed) to Chase peeing on the wall. I yelled for him to stop and he ran back to his bed and looked at me like he had no idea why I was yelling... yet he was still peeing.

So off to the vet we went. They checked his prostate, did a senior panel on him (he has low thyroid and was due it anyway) and also did a culture of pee. Everything came back just fine. But they put him on antibiotics just in case it was an infection that didn't show.

That was just about a week and a half ago and he hasn't had any accidents (of course, we don't let him go long now without taking him out). Because I'm still unemployed (hopefully that will change later this week), I have the luxury of letting him out every few hours if I have to. DH and I did go out yesterday and left the dogs for nearly 8 hours and there were no accidents.

Last night, all the dogs were kicked out of the bedroom at some point (Chase for extremely nasty farts). When we woke up (eight hours), he had peed on the floor.

The vet told us to continue the rest of the antibiotic (another 4-5 days) and then if he is still having problems they would like to do an xray to make sure he doesn't have stones.

They also said there is a possibility that he's just getting senile.

Any ideas? I don't understand why stones might be a possibility (I have been thinking this vet clinic does things to charge money for nearly the last year... we are moving soon and I can't wait for a new vet clinic) since he has no problem with peeing... there's no stream stoppage or anything.

In the mean time, I've ordered a belly band from H.O.T.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Is he only peeing in the bedroom when the other dogs get kicked out? Maybe he just misses his buddies at night. I know my Zipp goes all sorts of crazy if he can't be with his buddy Joey.

Guest savvyprchick

Is he only peeing in the bedroom when the other dogs get kicked out? Maybe he just misses his buddies at night. I know my Zipp goes all sorts of crazy if he can't be with his buddy Joey.

Nope. He's peeing in any room he's in. Bedroom, living room, etc. He will pee when they aren't in the room and when they are all there with him.

Guest mcsheltie

They aren't just trying to get money out of you. Both kidney & bladder stones cause excessive urination. Unfortunately they can be present and not show up on x-ray. X-rays only pick up calcium stones. Do they have an ultrasound? Ultrasound can pick up all types.

Be sure to put the most absorbent (super ultra) incontinence pads in your belly band.

Guest savvyprchick

They aren't just trying to get money out of you. Both kidney & bladder stones cause excessive urination. Unfortunately they can be present and not show up on x-ray. X-rays only pick up calcium stones. Do they have an ultrasound? Ultrasound can pick up all types.

Be sure to put the most absorbent (super ultra) incontinence pads in your belly band.

Good to know that they can cause it. I'm not sure if they have ultrasound. They said xrays. I'll ask.

There were a couple times in the last year though with other dogs that they DID do stuff that I found out later where they did the most expensive tests (for things that only show up 1% of the time) before doing the less expensive tests for things that are way more common. They also shame you if you don't do the most expensive things they offer. I hate that.

Last night, all the dogs were kicked out of the bedroom at some point (Chase for extremely nasty farts). When we woke up (eight hours), he had peed on the floor.

If his sleep is disturbed by having to get up and leave, he's awake and probably thinks it's time to get up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest savvyprchick

If his sleep is disturbed by having to get up and leave, he's awake and probably thinks it's time to get up.

That could be it this time. But that doesn't explain the random peeing when he's not disturbed. I just hope it's an infection that isn't QUITE cleared and will be by the time the antibiotics are done.

Guest savvyprchick

Is he drinking more than usual!??

No... I've been watching that and he hasn't at all.

Is he drinking more than usual!??

No... I've been watching that and he hasn't at all.