Dental Recovery Time

I'm sure this MUST have been discussed somewhere, but I've searched and read and just can't find it. Summer will be getting a dental this month. I'm told she'll possibly have an extraction and potentially two (it would be two molars, one on each upper side). My question is: How long is the recovery from an extraction? Her appointment is on a Tuesday and two days later, on Thursday afternoon, she has a scheduled nursing home visit. This is only her 2nd visit of her new therapy dog career, so I don't want to cancel it. I'm guessing she'll be relatively fine by then, since I myself have had an extraction and I was fine by two days later. But I am still concerned and wondering, maybe they heal differently from us.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I think that would be a lot to ask of her-- really depends on how well she handles the anesthesia and how many extractions she has. One thing I will mention- I would have your vet run iv fluids intra and post op-- really seems to help them recover quicker.

Gee did really well. She's almost 12 and lost 6 teeth and came home that night and wanted food! I had pain meds for her but only used them the first day after her dental. She was fine after that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I just had some of my wisdom teeth out last summer. I only took the prescribed medications (I think I got codeine... can't remember) for the first day, and after that I just took the odd Advil if I was feeling any pain. I was up and around and doing things, hanging out with friends and such. Every individual is different though. I didn't get a lot of swelling or "chipmunk face", whereas I had friends that were swollen and sore for days and had to eat mush. It'll depend on how bad the teeth are, why they're coming out, etc. Obviously they'll do their best to extract them all in one piece, but they're coming out because they're not healthy so they may not come out in one piece and they may cause more inflammation trying to get the fragments out. It all depends. If you're not sure I'd reschedule her therapy visit for another time. I don't necessarily think it would be too much to ask of her, but I don't know her or her exact dental situation.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Okay! I guess I'll play it by ear. I have all the appropriate information already on file with the vet (such as "Greyhound Medical Idiosyncrasies") and I've just prepared a surgical "idiot list" that I'm going to email to them. I have also managed to get her appointment moved to THIS FRIDAY!!! Less time for Momma to get herself worked up and anxious! :eek

She's surprisingly stalwart about things. I can do about anything to her and she doesn't complain or even move. I even trimmed out some pine sap from her fur one day and accidentally cut her with the scissors and she never made a sound! But let another greyhound step on her foot and the world has come to an end!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance