Spondylosis

Guest bonnebike

Guest bonnebike

We adopted Pony a year and a half ago when he was almost 10. He had a funny gait and was weak in the back legs. We attributed a lot of it to something age-related. Turns out he had Spondylosis which we only discovered from the x-rays taken on the last day of his life.

He always wanted to go for walks, but the walks were almost always slow. He never complained. He liked being on the couch, but would not jump up. He would sidle over and put one butt cheek up and look for help.

It was the last few days when he was in a lot of discomfort at night. We took him in and the x-rays showed masses in his abdomen and lungs. With the extent of the things going on and the pain he was having we decided to say good-bye.

The vet also pointed out the spondylosis in the x-rays which I later researched. It fit exactly with a lot of the things he did. She said there is some debate how much pain it causes. Either it's not much or Pony was a very stoic guy.

I'm not sure there's any point to this post, but I just wanted to share. Pony was a special guy in a lot of ways.

Guest bonnebike

The wikipedia entry for spondylosis describes the two main things we saw in Pony: gait dysfunction and weakness. It didn't seem like he was in pain so hopefully he didn't have that part of it.

How it showed on his x-rays was as extra bone bridging between vertebrae. It was like they were connected with little 'U's.

Edited by bonnebike

It really sounds like the masses were the cause of his discomfort, those last few days. He had such a fine life with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.