Bilirubin In Her Urine

I just had a urinalysis ran on Daisy. She seems to be peeing more, but then I discovered her vagina/vulvar area is kind of red and sore looking. The urinalysis is normal except for the bilirubin being a plus 2. I have no idea what that means...

As for her "privates" being irritated, I was gone last week to take care of my Dad, and they were alone in their crates most of the day. (they are not crated much anymore since I work out of the house now.) My husband said she didn't pee or drink much. Her urine is very concentrated. I'm wondering if she is sore because of that....Any advise??

What about her bloodwork - is that normal?

I would repeat the urine once Daisy is hydrated and see if the value drops. It's conceivable that the dehydration is making the urine more concentrated (as you yourself noted) and making the value higher.

Was the specimen a "first morning" or a "random catch"? You usually want to get a "first morning".

We didn't do bloodwork, just the urinalysis. No, it was not the first catch of the day, just a random catch. I will retest next week. Just her urinalysis and anal check was $75...She wasn't even seen by the vet as he was out of the office so the tech sent it into the lab.

I would retest tomorrow and get bloodwork if there's still bilirubin in the urine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A small amount of bilirubin can be normal in dog urine, especially in a concentrated sample. This is something specific to dogs, not other species. Has your vet interpreted and discussed the urinalysis results with you?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

A small amount of bilirubin can be normal in dog urine, especially in a concentrated sample. This is something specific to dogs, not other species. Has your vet interpreted and discussed the urinalysis results with you?

True, but IMHO 2+ is more than a little, especially in a female. Unless she's taking meds etc. that would tend to false positives, I'd want to check it out sooner rather than later.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest handpicked

You need to ask what the specific gravity of the urine sample was. If it was greater than 1.025 then a 2+ bilirubin is normal. If it is less than 1.025 then it is abnormal and either indicates liver disease or hemolysis of the blood. If abnormal, then bloodwork would be indicated. Good luck.

Guest handpicked

Hi, Newgreymom!! Since her specific gravity was 1.033, then the 2+ bilirubin is totally normal. Nothing at all to worry about!! You can relax now!! Hugs to you!!