Hello!

Guest Allie

Hello,

My name is Allie and I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I brought home my first greyhound last weekend for what was going to be a month or so of fostering, but we're already madly in love and he's staying forever! I've never owned a grey before, but have always had little pooches around, always poodles or poodles crosses. Up until the last year or two I'd had horrible allergies to dogs and all other furry animals, but somehow am a lot better now, and fine around greyhounds. Interestingly, labs and staffies still give me bad reactions, but cats are now fine too. It's probably the most unexpected but greatest thing that's ever happened to me, because I LOVE dogs.

This is Snow, who is going to be called Helmut once the adoption process has been finalised, and who doesn't actually know his name anyway. He turns 4 in April, and as far as I know, he's a failed racer who has been living in kennels for about 18 months. The poor child has lots of sores all over his legs from lying on concrete, and this morning started limping around, so is getting a trip to the vet this afternoon. Look at how handsome he is! And huge!

179352_10150127699664188_652619187_7950192_2364457_n.jpg

180837_10150127690789188_652619187_7950047_2127626_n.jpg

And this little treasure is my Mimi. She's 9, and has been living with my mum since I moved out of home a few years ago. Mum also has two other little dogs, Gretel the toy poodle and Rudy the neurotic poodle x maltese, and Mimi has firmly established herself as the leader of the pack. They're all so attached that I could never in good conscience bring her to live with me again for more than a night or two, so I visit her a few times a week.

34861_442565644187_652619187_5987572_2199163_n.jpg

Looking forward to meeting you all and learning lots more about how to look after this lovely chap. :)

Thanks guys :) The name Helmut just came to me, and it suits him perfectly - it was either Helmut or Harper, but Harper's a bit girly.

The limp turned out to be some grits that had penetrated his paw pad. The vet dug them out while he was under local anaesthetic, and he was so so good, he just lay there like a ragdoll. :)

Welcome from Ontario...what a cute pic!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross