Roscoe Has A Hellava Rash

Roscoe's been licking this area on and off for a couple weeks. It was a little pink, no biggie, I just made him stop licking it. But tonight I looked and oh boy. He's got a hellava rash! They almost look like big blisters but not quite. He's licking the area a fair amount, but not constantly.

He is on the same food, nothing is new or different that I can think of.

Any ideas what it might be?

How should I treat it?

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest PiagetsMom

Flea Bites? Mirage had himself looking just like this several months ago when we found fleas - he obviously had a severe reaction to them. I resorted to Benadryl to help with the biting/itching while we treated for them.

I knew it was flea related, but if you're not finding any fleas, I'd probably be making a trip to the vet.

Edited by PiagetsMom

I get a rash that looks similar to that every winter inside my elbows. Mine is from the dry air since I have a dry skin condition to begin with. Hopefully it's something like that. Either way, a vet visit is probably a good idea. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Is he spending a lot of time outside? In grass? If so, it's possible it's a contact allergy from something in the grass. There's also a no-see-um bug that lives in grasses and causes scary-looking bites.

Spending time outside in nice weather after a dreary winter spent indoors--it's something that often doesn't get thought of when people are trying to diagnose what's "new" in the dog's life.

I'd definitely recommend a vet visit since if this is a staph infection, it can spread. And even if it's not anything contagious, Roscoe needs some itch-relief.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hi Devildog, what was the outcome of this rash? thx

The dog was re-homed.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****