Nike Had A Seizure This Morning

I heard a commotion going on in the bedroom but didn't think anything of it at first. Nike gets excited when I wake up and while I'm in the bathroom often jumps on the bed and tosses pillows around while she waits for me. But today I came back to find her splayed on the bed with her head tilted to the side and shaking. This lasted for about 20 seconds then stopped and started again. The episodes lasted a total of 10 or 12 minutes ( but sure seemed a lot longer to me!). She is fine now and I have talked to the vet. Thanks to the reading I've done here on GT I knew what I was seeing and what to expect when it was over (that she would be "out of it" for a while). This was my first experience with seizures, so any advice would be appreciated! (Nike is an only dog, so no worries on that front.)

To make her recovery time shorter, you can give her a little all natural vanilla ice cream or peanut butter, anything with a little sugar in it. Her blood sugar drops while seizing so the sooner you bring it back up to normal levels the quicker she will recover. Cool her off because her temperature rises during the seizure. Let her pant and pace if she needs to and provide water and this should help her recover quickly. Start today and keep track of when and how long her seizure was just in case she has another. If she has several within a short time span, get her to the e-vet because she will be clustering.

You might want to take her in for some blood work and see if anything is off to cause the seizure.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

To make her recovery time shorter, you can give her a little all natural vanilla ice cream or peanut butter, anything with a little sugar in it. Her blood sugar drops while seizing so the sooner you bring it back up to normal levels the quicker she will recover. Cool her off because her temperature rises during the seizure. Let her pant and pace if she needs to and provide water and this should help her recover quickly. Start today and keep track of when and how long her seizure was just in case she has another. If she has several within a short time span, get her to the e-vet because she will be clustering.

You might want to take her in for some blood work and see if anything is off to cause the seizure.

I totally agree with Judy! Also, you might want to ask you vet for some liquid Valium (which is drawn up into a syringe, usually 20 mg, and can be administered (*without needle, of course) rectally, to STOP these cluster, or long seizures. OR, sometimes, the vet can prescribe rectal suppositories, which are easier for someone not medically trained. I WOULD WORRY about ANY seizure lasting 10-12 minutes, because during a Major seizure, formerly called Grand Mal, now, Tonic/Clonic, they aren't breathing. The Valium can stop these until you can see the Evet, or regular vet... Sometimes, IV Phenobarbitol is needed.

This MIGHT be an isolated issue for your Nike, BUT, again, as Judy here mentioned, a FULL blood panel is necessary, and you can go from there.

Good luck, and if it is needed, your vet can start Nike on Phenobarbitol and DEFINITELY get that rectal Valium, .. just in case!

Sending love and prayers your way! Dee, and The Five

Edited by Energy11

Guest zombrie

During the seizure, there really isn't anything you can do except make sure she is safe where she is. After Manny had seizures, I would give him yogurt or marshmallows (when giving a snack, I dont suggest hand feeding because they still aren't 'there' and bite your fingers really hard, at least Manny did). put a fan on him and put him in an exo pen until the post itcal phase was over, because he was still completely out of it and would try to run, jump, trip over himself and run into walls (he has severe cluster seizures though, so your girl might not do that).

Write down how long it lasted and the date and keep it in your records. For Manny, we kept a chart on the refrigerator. When she has a seizure it is really important to know how long the seizure lasted, so remember to count. I would always forget to start counting when we first brought him in because of the adrenalin, as I had zero experience prior to him.

Once you have a chart, you can see patterns with the seizures and decide if she needs to be medicated.

ETA What Energy11 said, the rectal valium saved Manny's life several times. It works immediately.

Edited by zombrie

Thank you for all of the advice. When this happened only Nike's head was shaking. It would last for 20 seconds or so, stop for about that long, and start again. The entire series lasted about 10 minutes and she had a total of around 7 or 8 episodes of shaking. Is this what a cluster is? Is it common for only her head to shake? I have started a chart. I am also concerned that if it happens ( or has already) when I'm not home I won't know about it. As far as I know she has never had anything like this happen before. She has seemed fine since then, but quiet. I am planning to bring her in for a check up and will ask about the Valium. Thanks again for the advice and support!

Guest Energy11

Thank you for all of the advice. When this happened only Nike's head was shaking. It would last for 20 seconds or so, stop for about that long, and start again. The entire series lasted about 10 minutes and she had a total of around 7 or 8 episodes of shaking. Is this what a cluster is? Is it common for only her head to shake? I have started a chart. I am also concerned that if it happens ( or has already) when I'm not home I won't know about it. As far as I know she has never had anything like this happen before. She has seemed fine since then, but quiet. I am planning to bring her in for a check up and will ask about the Valium. Thanks again for the advice and support!

Just the HEAD shaking is called a Focal Seizure. Used to be called a Petit Mal ... WHY they change these names, I will NEVER know! When the ENTIRE body is involved, it is called Tonic/Clonic, formerly Grand Mal. THOSE are the most scary and dangerous.

Anyway, a Focal Seizure is usually only when a certain part/isolated parts of the body are effected. Some VERY interesting info on canine focal seizures you can Google online. ... kind of explains the whats, whys, etc. ... Valium can, and does, stop all types of seizures, as it quiets the neuro pathways in the brain. Jus think of a seizure as a short circuit in your brain's electrical system, and basically, that is what it is. They CAN BE controlled, so, yes, a good check up, bloodwork, and of course, having the Valium on hand. Your vet can help decide if your Nike needs any DAILY anti-seizure meds like Phenobarbitol.

Love, hugs and good luck! I KNOW these things are scary! I have seen hundreds when I was a paramedic, but they can still "freak me out ..."

Edited by Energy11

If you and your vet decide to do the medication route, feel free to PM me. I have experience with all the common anti-seizure medications.

Zombrie, thank you for the offer!

I have just been "googling" and have gotten myself more worried. I read that focal seizures can look like leg twitches, which Nike often has in her sleep, to the point that they wake me up by shaking the bed or kicking me. Could she have been having seizures and I didn't know it? I had assumed she was sleeping and her leg just twitched.

It may be but I doubt it. All of my hounds run in their sleep. If she doesn't wake up and seem stressed after these episodes of leg shaking she's just running in her sleep like all greyhounds.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest zombrie

I'd doubt it as well. All the greys I've had and fostered and non-greys all run in their sleep. With the rare focal seizures Manny had (he pretty much only had grand mals) it was pretty obvious it was a seizure. Their eyes kind of glaze over and act funny and spacey for awhile afterwards, usually panting and drooling. Some focal seizures can not be as obvious, such as spacing out staring at a wall.

Edited by zombrie

Guest Energy11

I have FIVE greys, and they ALL run in their sleep! Sometimes, I have to wake Oakly up, as he really "gets into it..."

Focal seizures are pretty easily recognized. Sending lots of hugs your way!

Honey also works as an after seizure snack, if they like it.

The vet probably won't immediately put the dog on meds. Just one seizure is just one. She will have to have them fairly frequently before they will medicate. Phenobarb, while a great drug, can, in the long run, effect the liver.

Did she have anything different to eat the day or hours before the seizure, anything odd happen? was she exposed to anything different? New food, new biscuts, new people, new anything?

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Did she have anything different to eat the day or hours before the seizure, anything odd happen? was she exposed to anything different? New food, new biscuts, new people, new anything?

Nothing different this morning, but Thursday my DD had knee surgery and my older daughter who is home on college break said that Nike was pacing and whining at the door often while we were gone. This is not her usual behavior. I thought I was acting very calm about the whole surgery thing, but my dog probably knows me better than that. So it is possible (or probable) she is picking up on the stress. Also I am getting up during the night to take care of DD and sleeping part of the night in the living room with her. Also DD is on crutches and has a brace on her leg. Nike is usually pretty "go with the flow" but there is a lot going on right now!

Guest zombrie

Nothing different this morning, but Thursday my DD had knee surgery and my older daughter who is home on college break said that Nike was pacing and whining at the door often while we were gone. This is not her usual behavior. I thought I was acting very calm about the whole surgery thing, but my dog probably knows me better than that. So it is possible (or probable) she is picking up on the stress. Also I am getting up during the night to take care of DD and sleeping part of the night in the living room with her. Also DD is on crutches and has a brace on her leg. Nike is usually pretty "go with the flow" but there is a lot going on right now!

It is pretty amazing what can trigger seizures. My vet said that he had a lab patient who kept on having seizures when the husband got home from work, every night. They could not figure out why. Then one day they did: it was the garage door opener that was triggering the seizures :eek After they figured it out and stopped using it, he never had a seizure again!

So sorry to hear about your Nike having a seizure, it is scary for everyone. When I adopted my boy a couple of months back I knew he had seizures and was somewhat prepared but GT referred me to the Epi Guardian Angels site. I hope you find it as helpful as I did.

Hugs to Nike and you.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

When you're wondering whether Nike's behavior is a seizure or not, call her name, talk to her, touch her (carefully--stay clear of her mouth). If she's sleeping, "running" in her sleep, and you touch her side, say her name, and the twitching stops--not a seizure.

My Jacey has demonstrated some oddball behavior, and we suspected focal seizures. But sometimes, she's just a bit spacey. (Yes. Spacey Jacey.) So when her behavior is off, I just touch her, call her name, see if I can get her to respond normally. In her "off" moments, she'll walk if I tug her leash, but she'll stop moving the moment I drop the leash (even if I keep going), and she won't respond to her name. (And she'll stand with her tail tucked.)

When you're keeping track of Nike's episodes, also note how long it's been since she had a meal, note whether she was playing when it started--or sleeping, or whatever.

Jacey had pre-dinner episodes (when she stared at a food dish like it was something she'd never seen before, I knew she was in trouble). She had other waking events. We put her on a round of doxycycline, in case it was something triggered by a tick-borne ailment. Previous episodes were one every few weeks. In the 3 months since the doxy--not one event. (Knock wood.)

But I have a bottle of valium (pills) on the shelf in the kitchen. If she has another episode, I'll make notes. If she has a second episode within 24 hours, she'll get a valium as soon as she comes out of the episode. My vet himself suggested the valium supply, so we could get through a weekend of mild but clustered episodes without a trip to the e-vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Nike seems to be back to her normal self today- and I have been watching her like a hawk! Thank you for all the tips and advice. I have a much better idea of the different types of things I may see if she does have more seizures, but fingers crossed that it was just a fluke and will NOT happen again!