Hookworm Prevention

Guest mimikay

Guest mimikay

I'm a new grey mommy of 4mos. Her stool came back positive for hookworm. Vet prescribed Panacur for 3 days, wait 2 weeks, then Panacur for 3 days again. I have 2 questions:

1. What is the best way to prevent this from happening again. From researching, I know it's pretty hard to prevent. Raina is indoor at all times and only goes out for her walks. She is never left alone. My hubby and I always try to walk her in a place where other dogs don't go but i know it's pretty much impossible to prevent her from stepping on another dog's feces even though we always watch where she steps. Each and every time she enters the house from walking outdoors, we have a bowl of warm water with soap that we use to wash her paws. (If you can't tell, I'm really anal about dirt and germs, so this whole worm this is really grossing me out since she's with us in the house all the time).

2. Is there a cheaper way to get the medication? It was $106 dollars from my vet and I don't want to pay that much everytime she has to be dewormed.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/237762-hookworms-paracur-and-interceptor/

i hope the link works- (found on a google search for hookworms and interceptor)

i keep my dogs on interceptor all year, they have managed to stay clean of hookworm and other worms as well. i have been using the product for over 20 years.

prior to interceptor my salukis always had hook worms, it was really a bitch trying to keep them worm free.

Guest Swifthounds

The best way to ward off a hookworm infestation is to keep you dog as healthy as possible, well exercised, and to keep the yard picked up when there's an active infestation so she doesn't become re-infested. Internal parasite infestations are fairly common in newly adopted greyhounds. Normally, from the day they retire to the day they reach a forever home they've been hauled or transported several times, made trips to the vet, changed diet, changed lifestyle and routine (sometimes several times), and gone from living in the nearly constant company of people and other dogs to a much more solitary existence - that's a lot of changes in a very short time, and thus a lot of stress. Stress impairs the immune system's ability to fend off all manner of things.

If you just want piece of mind, you can use one of those combo or broad spectrum HW meds that "prevent" some forms of intestinal parasite infestations. There is some support that these lower levels of wormer create more drug resistant parasites (since they are less than what you would use to kill an active infestation). There's also not a lot of support that they actually "prevent" infestations. Most adult dogs, absent illness or stress impairing the immune system and overall health, can intermingle in areas frequented by many dogs and not incur an infestation. In 24 years with dogs, I've only had intestinal parasite infestations in puppies or rescues and fosters recently subjected to stress - and my dogs go anywhere and everywhere. Intestinal parasite occurrence is somewhat increased by large numbers of dogs coming in contact and thus kennels will occasionally worm. IF you know out the hookworm infestation now, it's not likely you'll have to do battle with another infestation anytime soon.

I use Sentinel year round for my "kids". It kills hookworms, rounds, whips (which most preventatives don't do) heartworm, and fleas. It is expensive but a years worth cost me the same as your one de-worming did. Others have some good suggestions too. Good luck, and I'm sorry you have to deal with this - worms SUCK!!

I'm a new grey mommy of 4mos. Her stool came back positive for hookworm. Vet prescribed Panacur for 3 days, wait 2 weeks, then Panacur for 3 days again. I have 2 questions:

1. What is the best way to prevent this from happening again. From researching, I know it's pretty hard to prevent. Raina is indoor at all times and only goes out for her walks. She is never left alone. My hubby and I always try to walk her in a place where other dogs don't go but i know it's pretty much impossible to prevent her from stepping on another dog's feces even though we always watch where she steps. Each and every time she enters the house from walking outdoors, we have a bowl of warm water with soap that we use to wash her paws. (If you can't tell, I'm really anal about dirt and germs, so this whole worm this is really grossing me out since she's with us in the house all the time).

2. Is there a cheaper way to get the medication? It was $106 dollars from my vet and I don't want to pay that much everytime she has to be dewormed.

It is common for newly retired hounds to arrive with worms. Treating hookworms with the veterinary prescribed meds is very important. Some vet's charge less of an upcharge, so you might try calling around for prices, if more medication is needed. Hopefully, once you knock out this hookworm infestation, there won't be a next time for the heavier duty expensive stuff. Many heartworm preventatives have just enough medication to prevent future infestations.

Watch your vet's recommended timing carefully so you're treating the hooks during their specific growth stages. Hopefully, the Panacur will begin killing them off quickly.

Definitely be very thorough when picking up after her outside. (Since they frequently have softer stools, I've heard of other people dropping a piece of newspaper or paper plate down for their hound's target - to make clean up so much easier.)

Hookworms prefer to live and reproduce in moist areas, shade is their preference, and they can live outside for months.

The house isn't a problem because it's too dry. Bedding is not a problem because they won't survive the washer/dryer process.

The most important thing is to thoroughly clean up her own feces - even scraping up a little dirt, leaves or bark with her poop for disposal (for her sake and to protect your neighbor's non-infected dogs).

A Clorox dilution is about the only thing I know of that will kill hookworms, but it isn't environmentally friendly.

I've covered my hounds business area with "tumbled playground bark." It's small, and cheap enough to pick up the bark along with the poop for instant disposal. (NEVER use cocoa mulch, it's highly toxic (fatal) to dogs.) This "tumbled playground bark" system has worked great for me. My own hounds have never picked up hookworms (or any other worms) from infected foster dogs that have pooped in this area. (I do follow dogs outside to pick up feces immediately .) Just so you don't worry aboout your girl too much.. My hounds have never picked up worms (or any other problems) from parks, etc., but I do clean their paws off when we get home.

BTW, for any pet medications prescribed by your vet that are "human" meds, Costco's pharmacy is a great source, if you have one in your town. Beware of ordering pet medications on-line. It's hard to know what you're getting, if they've been stored properly, etc.

Good luck, and try not to worry. Glad you found out. I bet she'll feel so much better after the worms are gone, and you will too! ;)

Guest KennelMom

The best way to ward off a hookworm infestation is to keep you dog as healthy as possible, well exercised, and to keep the yard picked up when there's an active infestation so she doesn't become re-infested. Internal parasite infestations are fairly common in newly adopted greyhounds. Normally, from the day they retire to the day they reach a forever home they've been hauled or transported several times, made trips to the vet, changed diet, changed lifestyle and routine (sometimes several times), and gone from living in the nearly constant company of people and other dogs to a much more solitary existence - that's a lot of changes in a very short time, and thus a lot of stress. Stress impairs the immune system's ability to fend off all manner of things.

If you just want piece of mind, you can use one of those combo or broad spectrum HW meds that "prevent" some forms of intestinal parasite infestations. There is some support that these lower levels of wormer create more drug resistant parasites (since they are less than what you would use to kill an active infestation). There's also not a lot of support that they actually "prevent" infestations. Most adult dogs, absent illness or stress impairing the immune system and overall health, can intermingle in areas frequented by many dogs and not incur an infestation. In 24 years with dogs, I've only had intestinal parasite infestations in puppies or rescues and fosters recently subjected to stress - and my dogs go anywhere and everywhere. Intestinal parasite occurrence is somewhat increased by large numbers of dogs coming in contact and thus kennels will occasionally worm. IF you know out the hookworm infestation now, it's not likely you'll have to do battle with another infestation anytime soon.

:nod I love when I don't have to type a lot :P

The best way to prevent hookworms is not to have them in the environment. If you live in an infested environment, your dog is going to get them -- doesn't really matter how healthy the dog is.

That said, your dog almost certainly came to you with them -- adoption group may have wormed but for one reason or the next didn't catch them all. I would recommend a 3rd worming in addition to the two the vet has scheduled, wait a couple weeks after that third round, then retest.

Monthly meds like Interceptor can help prevent reinfestation but they aren't strong enough to clear an existing problem in most cases. They contain minuscule amounts of wormer, and that is safe to give year round.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.