Not One But Two ...

Guest NahlaGreys2

My bridge baby, Tawny, lived with renal failure for five years. This is what I think prolonged the quality of her life: herbs from the holistic vet, acupuncture and buying supplements from www.naturalrearing.com. I also consulted with Marina@naturalrearing.com and she suggested some supplements. I wish the best for your baby as she can have a lot of years left. Also my holistic vet gave her a diet that I made at home. This was many many years ago and I know things have changed.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest NahlaGreys2

I sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions, experiences, etc. Right now my head is just literally spinning with the wealth of information that is available to go through regarding diets, supplements, medications, treatments ... and dealing with 2 sick pups with different diagnosis .. I know it's awful to say, but part of me just wants to bury my head in the sand. And the thought is compounded by the fact that I want to do what is best for both to keep them with me as long as possible .. but knowing I have financial restraints :(

I have joined the K9Kidneys group on yahoo and again.. A LOT of information which is greyt but also daunting in sorting through it all to find information that is helpful to my particular situation.

I have joined the K9Kidneys group on yahoo and again.. A LOT of information which is greyt but also daunting in sorting through it all to find information that is helpful to my particular situation.

Stick with the renal food for now if she likes it. Most important thing is to keep them eating. Wait, most important is to keep them happy. :) Anyway, keep her eating but realize that they go through good & bad days. Also, the food they wolfed down yesterday may flop today. It's just part of this ride. If she likes ginger snaps they can be a good treat that can also settle her stomach. Gets a bit of food in there as well. Sometimes much smaller meals many times a day works better.

In my experience supplements can help a great deal but pushing too many can become a hardship. If I could only choose one supplement to give it would be fortified b-complex (found at livestock supply stores) injections done sub-q. For oral supplements it would be primarily the highest Omega 3 level fish oil caps I could afford, CoQ10 & either Lixotinic (packaged by the gallon for livestock use) or Pet-inic (same product in the small animal sized package, get the 4 oz.).

Guest Swifthounds

It is a lot to sort through. Tons of archived info as well. They are perhaps the nicest bunch of folks I've dealt with through any kind of discussion group, especially give the stress they're under.

Just don't be afraid to post and ask questions. Tell them you're overwhelmed, have two ill pets, and could really use your help. They'll walk you through things.

Stick with the renal food for now if she likes it. Most important thing is to keep them eating. Wait, most important is to keep them happy. :) Anyway, keep her eating but realize that they go through good & bad days. Also, the food they wolfed down yesterday may flop today. It's just part of this ride. If she likes ginger snaps they can be a good treat that can also settle her stomach. Gets a bit of food in there as well. Sometimes much smaller meals many times a day works better.

In my experience supplements can help a great deal but pushing too many can become a hardship. If I could only choose one supplement to give it would be fortified b-complex (found at livestock supply stores) injections done sub-q. For oral supplements it would be primarily the highest Omega 3 level fish oil caps I could afford, CoQ10 & either Lixotinic (packaged by the gallon for livestock use) or Pet-inic (same product in the small animal sized package, get the 4 oz.).

:nod Baby steps with a goal that makes sense for you. Sounds like getting them to eat without the big D afterward is the first goal which should make them happy and you happy. Once that happens, you will be less distracted and can begin to digest the abundance of information available here and thru the yahoo groups. It's overwhelming - being alone to cope with two less than healthy dogs. Just remember, the KISS principle. Do one thing at a time and keep a journal of some sort in order to keep track of what you did, when, and the outcome.

There are so many here on GT that are willing to help in any way they can. I will keep you and your pups tucked tightly in my prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest NahlaGreys2

I will be calling the vet first thing tomorrow about Annie. Today has been the first "off" day in about a week for her appetite. But I'm more concerned about the frequent squatting .. more times than I can count, but if she's up and walking about - she's going to try and squat in the house. And she'll usually try in 2 or 3 spots while outside until she seems satisfied that she's "done". I don't know if this means increasing her dosage - or trying something new.

What kudzu said. That's a UTI or stones.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NahlaGreys2

I'm attributing the frequent squatting to the inflammation in her urethra - perhaps the piroxicam isn't working as well as we had hoped? Recall she was diagnosed with TCC less than 2 weeks ago. The cytoscopy pictures showed her urethra was extremely inflamed. Ultrasounds and xrays showed no stones or masses and UTI was ruled out.

Edited by NahlaGreys2

Oops, mixed up dogs. Apologies. Yeah, that would do it :( . Wonder if meds can be upped, or vet can add something to make her feel more comfortable?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest NahlaGreys2

Oops, mixed up dogs. Apologies. Yeah, that would do it :( . Wonder if meds can be upped, or vet can add something to make her feel more comfortable?

I dropped her at the ER clinic this morning on my way into work - she was actively bleeding from her vulva again. Have shed quite a few tears this morning because I'm terrified that my gut is telling me I'm going to have to send her to the bridge sooner rather than later.

Edited by NahlaGreys2

Sending prayers and hugs.

I did forget. Thanks for reminder. As if subject line shouldn't be enough. [sigh & sorry] But thinking about it... Was she doing better before this? Was there reason to think the piroxicam might be helping? If so I still have the same response. The reason is that if the inflammation had previously caused urine retention or some remaining but milder retention it can predispose her to UTI. It makes sense to check for common treatable, causes even when another preexisting cause exists.

We went through years of idiopathic cystitis with my Daniel D. 95+% there was no UTI but sometimes there was. The idiopathic cystitis could actually mask a UTI. I hated the expense but two UTIs caught late convinced me that if his symptoms didn't spontaneously resolve in 24 hrs we did urinalysis. Just explaining my reasoning.

Sometimes a UTI is the preferable explanation. Wishing all the best.