Homemade Dog Cookies

Guest Greytluv

Guest Greytluv

All my dogs are on grain free. I've been making cookies using wheat flour. Is there some other kind of flour I can use that will be better for them?

Any suggestions?

Spelt flour or rice flour -- easy ingredients to find generally. Sorry I don't have recipes right at hand, but I think the recipes are also both easy to find and can be improved on after a couple batches. :)

Grind up your dog's kibble,, really,, really, fine use that in place of flour,,,( I put it in the food process,, and let'er rip) I have used this many times in place of flour :)

Edited by kydie

Guest Greytluv

Grind up your dog's kibble,, really,, really, fine use that in place of flour,,,( I put it in the food process,, and let'er rip) I have used this many times in place of flour :)

Greyt idea thumbs-up.gif I have a VitaMix and that would really grind it down :)

I'm making gluten/wheat-free human treats tonight....I may make a batch for dogs (using a different recipe of course wink.gif). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Let me know how they turn out.

Here's a recipe for allergy friendly dog treats.... and the link has a picture.

Allergy-friendly dog biscuits (recipe courtesy of Larkin's vet)1 cup canola oil1 cup brown sugar1/2 cup white sugar3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce2 1/2 cups oat flour or rice flour1 tsp. salt1 tsp. baking soda1 tsp. cinnamon3 cups old fashioned oats Mix together oil, brown sugar, white sugar, and applesauce in a large mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and oats; stir to combine. Drop by rounded tablespoonful (I used my cookie scoop) onto baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Here is a photo to show you what they look like.

http://turley-times.blogspot.com/2010/12/recipe-allergy-friendly-dog-biscuits.html

Here is the one I use,,, no more than 5 ingredence for me :lol 2 cups of whole wheat flour (or ground up kibble) 2 cups of parmasain cheese 1 cup milk,,,(little more if to dry) a shake of garlic powder roll in balls,,, (size of 1/2 a golf ball) bake 45 min at 350 leave in oven over night to dry out,,, or if you have a dehydrator,,, on high for 14 hours,,,,, done :)

Here is the one I use,,, no more than 5 ingredence for me :lol 2 cups of whole wheat flour (or ground up kibble) 2 cups of parmasain cheese 1 cup milk,,,(little more if to dry) a shake of garlic powder roll in balls,,, (size of 1/2 a golf ball) bake 45 min at 350 leave in oven over night to dry out,,, or if you have a dehydrator,,, on high for 14 hours,,,,, done :)

That one sounds easy enough, I might try it...thank you!

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest JarBear

I replace the wheat flour with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and xanthan gum in the quantity listed on the flour bag. It made great rolled and cut into shapes peanut butter cookies last week.

I made some treats, recipe attached. I would guess the oat flour could be substituted with another cup of the brown rice flour. They turned out pretty good. Yep, I tried them too. Oh, I used uncured bacon that had no nitrates, and a regular egg. Every dog that tried them so far loves them. The book called for organic everything, but I couldn't afford it when I was shopping for ingredients, I used Bob's Red Mill flour (Gluten Free).Grilled Cheese with Bacon.doc

Edited by Chucko