Small Update - Amicar & Hemangiosarcoma

Guest Fasave

Just a quick update for anyone following this story. Ave is doing well. Long story but after a week, I called the vet that saw him at Angell Memorial in Boston to let her know he was doing well and she let me know about a trial with a drug called Amicar. It’s used in humans to control bleeds in a variety of conditions and they are starting to see how the drug works in dogs with heart and liver tumors that are prone to bleeding. It would help to prevent a catastrophic bleed which is my biggest concern. I contacted Dr. Couto to see if he would recommend using it therapeutically (versus post surgical). When he wrote back, he asked to see Ave’s blood work. Well…..I hadn’t done blood work because we went right to the ultra sound so he recommended getting a CBC done as he thought if it were Hemangio, he would have signs of anemia and low platelet counts. So I got a CBC done Friday and received the results which are completely normal. The only slightly "high" level was the HCT which is 63 (normal range 36-60) and if I read the greyhound blood work packet correctly, this level being high is normal for greyhounds.

I’m not sure what to think at this point. Even his liver values are fine which seems a little odd to me for a dog with a liver tumor. And this blood work is 10 days past the prognosis of 1 day to 1 month to live without surgery. I would have thought he would have some symptoms or skewed results at this point. So, I’m not sure what to think. The flip side is everything I’ve read about hemangio also says it can come on quickly with no symptoms and they did see something on the ultra sound and he did have fluid in his abdomen. I have forwarded the information to OSU and am awaiting their advise for next steps including the use of Amicar for this type of situation.

If anyone out there with experience with hemangio and has similar results, I would like to know as I'm trying to remain realistic about the whole situation.

I'm so sorry you and your pup are going thru this.

I have some experience now with hemangio, but it's not so good.

My girl had a big tumor (baseball size) removed in september, had to wait 3 weeks for the pathology report, it was hemangio.

Last week I found a new bump where the tumor was taken out. Hemangio is back and is spreading thru her body. :(

Hope you have better luck.

I'll be thinking of you and crossing my fingers it's not hemangio

It does seem kind of strange, Melissa. I'm looking forward to reading what OSU has to say. I wish I could offer more. Good luck!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks for the feedback and well wishes. TBHounds, I have been thinking the same thing but if this were the case, why would Dr. Couto recommend a CBC as he knew it had been a while since the bleed. Although we only exchanged e-mails, he made it sound like it, or I chose to understand it as, the blood would be affected regardless. Ave has been pretty normal, eating well, sleeping well and systems functioning well. He was down 3 pounds but given he didn't eat for 1 1/2 days in there and I have been giving him more canned than kibble as per the vet to keep him hydrated, I may not be giving him the same amount of calories. Additionally, I can't remember if he was wearing his coat during that first weigh in. I know he wasn't for the last one. Also, it was different clinics and different scales. I should also note that when I told the vet at Angell I wanted to run a CBC, she did say that I likely won't see much so again, not sure what to think.

Can't remember if he had a definitive FNA that pinpointed hemangio? Some of the other types of cancers (fibrosarcoma, malignant histiocytosis) don't always move as fast, and you could have something bleed and then seal itself up again for a time.

Sending gentle scritchies and hopes your boy has many many good days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can't remember if he had a definitive FNA that pinpointed hemangio? Some of the other types of cancers (fibrosarcoma, malignant histiocytosis) don't always move as fast, and you could have something bleed and then seal itself up again for a time.

Sending gentle scritchies and hopes your boy has many many good days.

He had a ultrasound guide FNA that came back inconclusive which they told me there was only 50/50 chance it would tell us anything.

I wonder if he had a benign cyst rupture?? Bless Dr Couto for his services-glad you are in communication with him! Did he ask you to send him some blood smears? He can actually see blood cell changes via a smear.

He didn't ask for blood smears but I can ask if that would be helpful although Ave is on the me and not as happy to go for rides these days because off all these trips to the vets :lol

FWIW, I would be inclined to step out of the way and request that my Vet consult with Dr. Couto. An exchange of info might help clear things up. Hope that helps. Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I heard back from OSU this morning and spoke further with my vet about the blood work. It feels like the thinking is that we are still dealing with cancer but perhaps something different than hemangiosarcoma as OSU stated that there is usually signs of anemia and low platletts in pups with hemangio. The next steps from both sides would be to visit an oncologist and re-do the ultra sound and lab work. I did confirm the dosing on Amicar with OSU and although OSU did say that they have not used it has a therapy for pups with bleeding tumors, they did say they use it for pups who are bleeding. So I have the prescription and I just need to decide what to do. At least I have something I can give him if he shows signs of bleeding again. Not the best news but not unexpected either.